When a mom is receiving gov't assistance for food/nutrition, what should they be able to buy?

Should a person receiving food benefits be limited tot he type of food they would like to provide for their family?

ssnelson26

Asked by ssnelson26 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it should be a price limit. Not limited just to milk, eggs, cereal, and cheese. Ive never been on it but wonder how the ones that are can get my with only those necessities
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• alot of the comlaints that people on EBT or stamps are buying steak, shrimp, good meat. i wonder if there is this mental picture that people on assistance should be buying ramen and blue box macaroni to feed their family only. WIC covers the cheese and milk part, formula if needed, nutrients for a breastfeeding mom, pregnant mom, etc (thankfully!!!!) but then you have EBT/stamps as well. it seems like some people beleive they should eat good, provide their families with decent food.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• They already are limited somewhat. They can't buy foods that are prepared in the store like ready to eat hot roasted chickens and fresh baked bread and birthday cakes from the bakery. I don't think they should be able to buy Lobster and other expensive items. But they have to learn to budget their benefits to make it last for the month. If the buy things they can't afford or more than neccessary, at the end of the month they will be hungry and it will be they're own fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I have no problem with them getting "good" food, but I don't think they should be getting junk food, sugar coated heart attacks waiting to happen, and crap for their kids to eat.
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 9:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Yes. I think they should be limited to generic or store brand items, and I think some of their choices should be limited. For instance, I don't think they should be able to buy soda and candy.

And to Steph319 - those limitations are for WIC, not for food stamps. And people aren't supposed to get by on just those, WIC is a supplement program. It's not intended to supply all groceries for the home.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 9:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• "If the buy things they can't afford or more than neccessary, at the end of the month they will be hungry and it will be they're own fault. "

No one said they couldn't afford things at the end of the month. this is a hypothetical question about a mom in general, working mom, not one that abuses the system

ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Damn why can't we just let people be and make their own choices. Let them have some dignity and fancy meals if they want. They are the ones who have to scrimp elsewhere to make it work. Why do we think we get to dictate to others just because we contribute to a system that helps them. The point is to get people help buying food. Many are embarrassed to have to use food stamps, do we have to rub their noses in the dirt by limiting them? Worry about what you're feeding your own families.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• "No one said they couldn't afford things at the end of the month. this is a hypothetical question about a mom in general, working mom, not one that abuses the system"

Typically, if she's working and NOT abusing the system, she's only going to qualify for a minimal amount anyway. Her food stamps will be supplemental - nowhere near enough to buy for the whole month. She will probably not need to be limited on what she buys - she will limit herself in order to make what she does get go a little bit further. It's the ones who DO abuse the system that go overboard on their purchases.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 10:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I have no problem with the way it is now. no beer or alcohol. no hot and ready foods (like the hot bar of the deli if your store has one)

why shouldn't people on assistance be allowed the same foods you get to choose?

they get a set amount of food stamps on their EBT card, they have to budget that just like you do your money when you go shopping.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think they should be entitled to fruit and vegetables if they want families to have healthy foods.

Otherwise families should be allowed to buy what they want. Milk, eggs and cheese is not healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008