Stepson rocking back and forth?

I am just looking for some more info about my stepson rocking back & forth. He has done this for as long as I've known him, since he was 2 (he's 7 now). He rocks back & forth on the couch & when we're driving in the car. Most of the time he also sings, hums, or just makes random noises while doing it. He doesn't do it softly often, mostly at "medium-speed", but sometimes he will do it so hard the couch will bang against the wall & it just sounds like it hurts!

In the past I never said anything & tried to ignore it, w/ the occasional "can you please stop?" I figured he would "grow out of it" but that hasn't happened yet. Neither my hubby or SS's mom seem to be bothered by it, but I really am! Also, I'm pregnant now & am worried that in the future my child will start mimicing him & start doing this all the time too. Am I over-reacting? Should I say something or keep ignoring? Not sure how to handle this. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My little cousin which is now 14 rocked back and fourth for years. We ust to call it the "bump". he went to many doctors and they concluded that he was having mini seizures. He was put on a medication on now longer has this issue. I cant recall why these ust to happen but they are now under control. research it as much as possible and take the info to your pediatrician. good luck momma
    newmommyjazz

Answer by newmommyjazz at 9:25 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It may be a calming thing for him. Is he on the autism spectrum at all? My son does have autism and does the rocking thing quite a bit. Your step son's rocking does not automatically put him on the spectrum and he may not be. My husband used to rock as a child. He eventually grew out of it. You could try distracting him with a task or just talking with him.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Your husband or the childs mother need to address this with the school and with the doctor. This could be something that needs to be treated.
    To ignore it is abuse. The fact that it bothers you is not the issue. The boy might need help and it sounds like he is not getting it. Who has custody?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes,take him to the doctor,it is not normal! Take him as soon as possible!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• There's a couple kids I know at church that do this (they're nice boys!), but i've always wondered too..cause like your concerns..I was secretly annoyed, but never said anything because I figured it was a way of calming themselves or some medical issue. I know they do have some.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 9:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• There could be a lot of reasons why he is doing it, I would get him to the doctor and talk about it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010