Dinnertime Battles

my daughter (2 1/2) eats fine for me during the day (i try to focus on her overall food intake during the day). HOWEVER, when she is w/ her dad (we're separated), she refuses to eat. it's becoming a horrible food struggle between them (we have 50/50 custody, so we're talking abt 1/2 the wk, it's a battle for him to get her to eat).

last night, he sent her to bed w/o dinner b/c she didnt want the casserole my ex-MIL made for dinner. he refuses to make her another dinner b/c he says she needs to "learn" to eat whatever he puts before her. [i disagree...but we have very different parenting styles.]

what can i do? any tricks that i can pass along to him to help w/ this struggle? i don't want this dinnertime battle to affect either claire's relationship w/ her dad or the way she views food/eating...

momma2claire

Asked by momma2claire at 9:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why cant he just throw some chicken nuggets or fish sticks in the oven? Hes right with the whole pick thing though. You dont want to be one of those ppl who cook 3 different meals for differnt kids. Shes still young though so i think thats somehting you have to work on later on. Does she is certain stuff for you that she wont eat for him? My daughter almost never wants dinner. I just give yogart and a banana. Its healthy and will be good enough to keep her full. Especially if she eats well during the day :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• *eat certain -is
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My husband is the same way...he thinks that my son should eat what is put before him and that is that, and if he doesn't, he goes hungry. However, I totally disagree. I hate thinking about my baby's tummy grumbling. So, we kind of came to an agreement. We put what we are eating before him, and and we all eat together (the key is that we have to eat together) He has to see his father and I eating what he is expected to eat. We always praise him for trying new things as well, and we don't make it a power struggle. That just makes it so much worse.
    And if Killian just absoluely will not eat what we are eating (which he has gotten better as my husband has as well) I always have to give him something else that I know will fill his little belly up. A little pasta or sandwich or something!
    I am sorry if this doesn't help!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I have to agree with your ex. Sorry, but no matter how young my kids were, what mommy made is what you eat. I would make them sit at the table till they ate so many bites, 2 xs their age so for your dd 4 bites. And I would make sure that they were actual bites. 99% of the time they will finish what is on their plate. If they still were saying that they didn't like it then they could have a bologna sandwich.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I think he should make her something else...or give her some fruit which may encourage her to eat the food.

I think its horrible to force a child to eat something they dont want to...you wouldnt like it would you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 22, 2008