Do you believe the stererotype about people on gov't assistance apply for everyone?

Do you all truly believe that all people on gov't assitance are drug users, uneducated, unemployed, and has a family running a close race with the Duggars?

Granted there are some abusers but they do get caught. Do you think that everyone abuses the system?

ssnelson26

Asked by ssnelson26 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Not at all. I have gov insurance for my daughter because her father and i dont have it. Its very important that she has it. Im not sure if thats considered assistance but I dont pay for it. Overall i think ppl have their opinions because its coming out of our tax money and all we seem to hear about are the ppl that are users and abusers. Not those who truly appreciate it and need it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Of course not. There are no such things as accurate generalizations. As soon as you make a claim that all of anyone does anything, you're simply wrong. There are people out there who will take advantage of anything and everything available to them, sometimes to the extent of abuse. There are people like this in any given situation, however, and basing an opinion solely on those people is irresponsible and foolish. Of course, the media likes to make everything in to the next major catastrophe, so you only hear about the abusers of the system. Kind of like the way, whenever we get a little rain here in San Diego, all you hear about on the news is "Storm Watch: 2008!"
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 10:14 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• lol PP it's like in SC 1/2 inch of snow plus a 5mph wind: BLIZZARD!!!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Not nessacerally. But if there was no "system" you would see people get their shit together with the freaking quickness. I think knowing there is always that to fall back on make some people lazy, and more pickey about what jobs they may choose to do. Even if doing it unconsciously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• No.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 10:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My daughter has 4 children and an ex husband who is running from paying CS. She is working full time, but needs food stamps to help feed her children. She is not nor has never been hooked on drugs. She has finished college and is a cosmetologist, so NO! Some people just need a little help. Everyone that don't like social programs, don't like them because they have never had to use them.
    To them, It's a handout to people who need it, but to big corportations it is a bailout!!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 10:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Obviously not.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 10:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• When I was three months pregnant with my daughter the company that I worked for filed bankrupt and I lost my insurance. my husband tried to get insurance with the company he worked for but their open enrollment wasn't until august(my due date was aug 9th,I gave birth aug 1st)so that wasn't gonna do much good. I had to file for medicaid. they denied me ,so my husband had to ask to be laid off for 3 weeks so that we could qualify. thank goodness I had a wonderful ob who agreed to take medicaid for me in my circumstance. i think for some people it is necessary. Helping to feed,house and give health care to families is one thing but welfare should only be given to help people get on their feet. it shouldn't be given to people indefinitely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• thats silly.... of course not. But there are people who will always do what they can to get something for free. My cousin has been a lifelong welfare case. She is now a recovering addict, but still abusing the system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Oh this is a good one. Of course not all recipients are as you have stereotyped them as well as not all people that need assistance get assistance. You say these offenders get caught, really every offender I watched offend the system when I was growing just kept on doing it theu stayed at home on their fat a$$ess and did nothing, meanwhile single moms like my mom worked 2 jobs I never saw her and her money paid the main bills I babysat and helped to put food on the table. The offenders rarely get caught they are lazy no ambition and don't deserve a dime of anyones hard earned tax dollars. That is one of the things that needs to be done is they need to start cracking down on the abusers of the system so real hard working people can get the assistance not hand outs, and if it is stereotyped that way it is because the offenders don't get punished or taken out of the system. Give them a help up not a hand out.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 11:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2008