What do you do when kid ask for your food and never eats it?

My 3 y/o does this all the time. Just had a fit because I wouldn't give into her because I KNOW she wont eat it and it will go to the trash. How do you deal with this. I just let her cry and have her fit. I get tired of her wasting food. She has a sausage biscuit on the table right now she didn't eat because she demanded she get two of them.

luvmy4kidsinAL

Asked by luvmy4kidsinAL at 9:42 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Cut the biscuit in half? LOL! But no, I would not give in to excessive demands. Present smaller portions? 

chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Samuel tries to do this, but sometimes he'll eat it..but when he's in one of those asking for a lot of food mode and not eating days..I won't. Just deal with the fits at least the child will know they can't bend you. I tell Samuel no if he has a plate of his own because I don't like him wasting my food (it's expensive!).
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 9:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Save it for when she gets hungry. I would not throw it away, wrap it up and put it in the fridge, and explain if you don't eat it now when you get hungry that is what you will eat.

My daughter did that all the time, but after a while she stopped asking for food she really didn't want. Trust me it works, stay strong that is the hardest part. No snack, no nothing until what you ask for is gone...

Good luck
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I put out healthy foods for my daughter to eat. She knows that when she has finished what is on the table she is welcome to ask for more or something else. I make breakfast, lunch and dinner... I am not a waitress or a short order cook, after those meals are eaten if she is still wanting more in between or after she can have fruit, yogurt, carrot sticks, muffin (homemade) those kinds of things.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I've only ever had that problem with a friend of my daughter's. She asked for something and didn't eat it. I offered her a few more choices, she chose one and didn't eat it. So she got nothing that morning. When informing her mother of the same, she responded by saying her daughter was a picky eater. I responded that this was not picky eating, her daughter was playing games at my house that she was allowed to play at her house and was really hungry because she got nothing for breakfast. We aren't friends anymore and that is fine with me.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:51 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• JewJew, I agree...My Daughter is like that, but I have figured it out and don't give in much anymore. They just want to see what all they can get you to do. I have no idea what causes them to act like that, but I am guessing it's the attention. She did this yesterday with lunch. She said she wanted pizza rolls, even helped me fix them by placing them on the pan, then she didn't eat a one...My son ate them when he got home from school.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Comment by luvmy4kidsinAL (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Oh hell no! Having a fit cause she can't have 2...forget it sister, cry all you want!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• oh goodness! I feel your pain girl! my DD does this all the time! its frustrating. I just give her a bite or two, a little bit at a time, that way it doesn't go to waste
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010