How can a website realistically say who is allowed to join when they themselves have no way to tell whose who?

Just occurred to me. There's all these rules, but no way to realistically enforce some of them in an internet setting, so why take the time to make those certain ones? Is it more of a marketing technique maybe?

How would you determine that sort of personal stuff? and if you can't then why make that a mandate to join? Wouldn't that create a No Ask-No Tell situation for some people?

Just curious.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in About CafeMom

• You can't. It's more of a honor system kind of thing (my mind isn't working yet this morning, so I hope you get what I mean). Say for instance, Facebook, you have to be what, 13? Someone signs up for the account and says they are 18, but there's no way of knowing that, unless you ask for a driver's license of course. Or you sign up for a dating site and you describe yourself as 5'6, 102lbs, dark hair, blue eyes, but in reality, you are 6'1, 230 lbs, hairy and have a mustache, LOL. I mean, there's just no way of knowing.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It's been clear for a long time that determining any of that is impossible.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• theres no way of knowing whos who
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• its the same mentality that makes so many moms here happy there's no men allowed or that its just a place for us girls to talk and hangout without any men around. Either very naive or completely clueless about how the internet works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2010