Bed bugs just hit CLOSE to home... am I wrong for my actions?

So dh is coming home (yay!!). Whenever he is home we always visit his mom and dad. They already talk bad about me because I don't being the kids to visit them when dh is not home ( Its a 6 hour round trip. I am not used to that area and if I haven't known an area for quite some time... i'm prone to getting lost). So they call dh and tell him they have bed bugs. By their own admission, " the bed bugs refuse to die. we've fumigated twice. tomorrow will be a 3rd time. so the kids cant come here, but we can meet up somewhere."

From what I know the bed bugs can attach themselves to clothes and travel from place to place. With that in mind, even if we don't go to their house, meeting them still feels "iffy" to me. I CANNOT deal with a bed big infestation. I have waaaaaaaay to much on my plate as is.

Am I wrong to say that we cannot have contact with them until they are POSITIVE they have the infestation taken care of??

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 9:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I sure as hell would be doing the same thing. Have you seen the bites those things leave? DO NOT want that on your kids!
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I can see how you would feel that way, and honestly, I probably would feel the same.
    However, could you talk to them and have them change clothes before you meet them or something? I mean like have some clothes they knew were "clean" and use those when they meet you!
    I honestly don't blame you though, I would worry about it to, and would not risk getting them at our house.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Right?! I know i'm not alone. Thats a big risk. Especially since I'd be the only one here to take care of th e problem if it does arise. Dh leaves 1 week after getting home and they live 3 hours away. It'll be me, 4 kids, a demanding schedule and BED BUGS. I cannot do that. But when I protest I come off as this horrible person. Its enough to make me scream. The fact that dh is even considering letting this happen is pissing me off. :(
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i'm with you. i wouldn't go until they are absolutely bed bug free. you and your kids don't need that. i wish everyone thought like you - maybe the bed bug problem wouldn't be so bad then!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with you!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010