Unfair special ed rule

my BIL 15 yr old daughter is in special ed..but only goes the 1st two weeks of school but passes every year only cause she is in special ed...she has been doin this since 3rd grade...I think its a slap in the face kids who work hard to get good grades to pass..an she gets to stay @ home but pass anyways..
She is not learning disabled..just don't want to work so they gave her special ed for that..

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Seems strange. You would think her parents would want more for her.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• What was her diagnosis?
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• ?
    stays at home?
    is she home schooled?
    or skipping classes?
    only goes first two weeks? then what?
    not understnding whole situation, i guess i need more info
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sorry can't help there. I don't know everything about her or what is going on. I know my DD is missing this school year because of a medical issue. She has tutors and she will be tested to make sure she can move on to the grade. I work hard with her at home so she won't fall behind.

I do believe if they are not getting her the help she needs then they are doing a disservice to her.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• So what's your question?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• first off, I have never heard that they have a child in special Ed. just for not wanting to do their work?? there has to be something a bit more then that. there are alot of reasons they do pass children, that are in special needs..first they do have IEPs that set goals for the child based on their disablities, and mental evaluation, these children have to work very hard, they may be in a 2nd grade level, but be in the 6th grade. Guess more information is needed

kids_r_gr8

Answer by kids_r_gr8 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yeah I don't see a question here. Most districts do not put kids in special ed because they are lazy. You didn't state any specific rule or the child's disability that qualified her for special ed., so I fail to see how any of this is "unfair". She may be passing her grade levels for now, but she will also probably be in the school system until she's 21. It is unfair..... to her. The school seems to be passing her off so they don't have to do their job of educating her. That's a slap in the face to her because she deserves more.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Special Ed is not an option for lazy kids. You are put in there for specific reasons. I think you may be a bit misinformed.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would not worry about what is fair to the other kids they are going to school and getting an education. They are getting the better end of fair.
    The concern should be, what is happening with this girl. I think perhaps you do not know the entire situation and for some reason the family is not sharing it with you. Or maybe you know and do not want to share with us.
    I hope someone is worrying about her and not concerned about what is "fair" to the others who are getting an education.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:16 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Oh I thought I put it in...she has an iep..her dianoses is learning disabled but she can read an do math well..she just refuse to it..so the automatically diagnosed her with LD..
    She started out goin 1x a week til 7th grade..now she doesn't go @ all..I know all a bout IEP cause I have 4 with IEP..I live in the Maryland/DC area..was wondering is this rule the same in your state..cause I think its unfair
    FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2010