Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! I'm trying to decide whether I should get a Amniocentesis.

I am trying to decide whether I should get an Amniocentesis. I did the first phase of testing and is said that I had a 1 in 4500 chance of down syndrome. My doctor said that was a good rate (the best she has ever seen is 1 in 10,500) but its hard to make a decision. This is my first baby , this is all new to me and I'm just nervous. Any advice???????

Answer Question

Asked by Sigourney7 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • Think to yourself, "If the baby had down syndrome would I consider aborting?" I'm not saying one way or another about aborting but if you wouldn't consider it I see no reason to get the test. That's what my doctor told me. the only thing you would gain is more stress and maybe a little extra time to prepare. I don't think the extra time is worth the risk of the test.

    Answer by AmandaH7 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • I personally would never take the risk of miscarriage associated with an amnio regardless of how small it is. My son has Down Syndrome, if you want to talk or ask any questions feel free to send me a message!

    Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.