Have you ever wonder...

Let me start by saying that I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and over there, even thought we are part of the USA we are totally diferent.

I always wonder why some mother are so quick to judge other moms when they ask, what it seems "stupid question". Like the cereal in the bottle, over there almost every mom either put cereal or babyfood (i'm not kidding). When I had my daughter 10 yrs ago she had A.R. and we try so many formulas and nothing work until we put her in soy formula with 1 spoon (baby spoon) of babyfood of carrot per oz (this was dr orders). Or the extended rear facing, over there, kids at 1 yr are put on a carseat forward facing. I haven't met anyone irl that is extending the rear facing and I live now in Fl.

I just wonder if moms ever think about why some moms seems so "stupid" when in fact is how they were raised and they don't know any better.

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 10:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think there are a lot of "stupid" questions here... There are however, a lot of mean, judgmental responses. Even without cultural differences, moms just do things differently. We are all learning as we go.

In Cuba, where my mom was born, baby girls had their ears pierced right in the hospital. Some Cuban doctors in Miami still do it in their office.... but you should have seen the look i got when I asked my Mexican doctor in Michigan about it... LOL. It wasn't a stupid question, just a cultural/regional difference.

Haz el bien y no mires a quien ;-)
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 10:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• unfortuneatly some people are very sheltered into thier own little worlds and never learn about the way things are done in other areas of the world or even other areas of the usa. Take shaving for instance....in the usa it is unthinkable to wear a sleavless shirt without shaving your arm pits but in most other countries they don't shave at all. I like you was raised with putting cereal/ babyfood into bottles. My intire family does it but some people never think of different cultures or family infrastructures, they only see things the way they do them and in thier limited understanding altomatically believe it is right and the only way things should be done. Ppl will quote studies and other such crap but these same people ignore other studies that they don't want to pay attention to. Yes thier are studies that say not to use cereal but there are also studies that show plastic causes cancer have all these moms stopped using it
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i'm with you..and i was born and raised right here, on the mainland!
    i think some moms are just witchy and feel the need to make themselves 'look better' by attempting to make others look bad. it does nothing but convince me more that they are insecure about themselves.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:04 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I dont ERF, and I feed jar food at 4 onthes, and I put cereal in bottles, I poerce ears at 8 weeks, and I hjave 4 healthy ,,happy kids, so IDK hun! I would go to PR f I could...LOL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Because is like some religion nuts that discover something and think that everybody is wrong and they are the only ones right or know the way to salvation. They don't see that other techniques of parenting are fine too and great happy, healthy kids can grow from that environment too.

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I also have never heard of ERF in my life except on this web site.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't think moms who don't think and do like I do are stupid. Everyone is different. Different cultures have different ideas on raising babies and children. I have 5 kids. My fourth had AR and I did put rice in his breastmilk per doctors orders. I have never ERF any of my children, and I am an amazing mom. I vaxed all my kids...again I am an awesome mom. Just because some moms don't vax and do ERF does not make me less a mom, nor does it make them bad in my book. I just do what I think is best for my kids. As long as abuse and neglect don't enter into a situation, I keep my mouth shut and my ideas to myself.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I learn a lot being on babysite this past two years but not everyone is as luck as I am that have a computer and search about babies. Thanks for reading and feel free to add your comment.
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• michimomma: Yes I know about the pierced ears. I got mine in the hospital also. When my daughter wa born I took her to claire and say it on a website and OMG hell broke loose. I was thinking: What did I do wrong? EVeryone does this in PR. lol
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010