Why do men do this when you try to leave?

I'm leaving the father of my child... he is mentally abusive and in the past physically. He is also very controlling. I told him this and he said he was going to go for full custody of our son. THis morning before he left for work he tried to act like everything was ok and was like "you don't love me anymore?" " You want to break up our family." You want to do this to your son?"
Is this just another way he is trying to control me?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, definitely another way of manipulation.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 10:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes, he's trying to convince you that its your fault. he's attempting to blame you for all the wrongs in the relationship, and if you believe him, he'll keep you right where he wants you.
    don't believe him!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:09 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well it may be how he really feels, he doesn't want you to leave, and isn't really sure why you are, he might really think that he isn't that bad, or it could just be trying to control you
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• He is desperate and now trying to play on ur emotions and PLEASE PLEASE Don't fall for it. Stick to ur guns and leave. With the things u said in ur post sounds like a bad situation. FYI guys and girls do it especially when they are desperate!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my God this is so familair to me
    it is him not facing his issue with control, addiction, abuse
    so h blames you, make it your fault, even tells you that "IF you only did this...I would not be like that"
    and if this does not work...he will say he is sorry, but still not take responsibility for his actions, just say sorry, i love you etc

he is trying another way to control you
    and he will try another way when he knows this does not work
    BE CAREFUL!! when he has no more ways to try to control, then he has to try control with ever increasing obsurd ways, which may include force
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yes
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• he is still trying to control you by playing with your emotions!!
    sweetpea8973

Answer by sweetpea8973 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yeah, pretty much
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 10:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yeah..he is trying to get you to feel bad so you will back down and think everything is okay and that maybe he wants to work things out...while he will have 2 steps ahead of you in trying to get your child. he is just playing mind games.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes. Be strong and Leave!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 10:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2010