do you add a degree when taking a temp in the ear? I can't remember

also I have been taking his temp in the right ear all morning which slowly keeps going up right know its at 99.5 but just to check I took his left ear which says 98.9 what does that mean?

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 10:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you add a degree. And the difference may be that you didn't have the thermometer all the way in.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• has he been laying on h is right side? if so, it will be warmer. is he drinking fluids? pedialite? and don't wrap him too tightly; keep his clothing loose.
    try taking the temp under his arm.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• no he hasn't been laying down and he really hasn't drank much just a little milk his nose is really nasty
    randilinn

Comment by randilinn (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I usually took temperatures under the arm and added a degree. But the new thermometers might be different. This was 40 years ago. I also thought it was "lying down" not "laying down". Laying is a verb that goes with something like : laying carpet,isn't it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• anon..who cares??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You add a degree when it is under the arm.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You add 2 degrees under the arm. One degree in the mouth or under the ear. And anon..Stop being a wench already!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I realize that CM is pretty much anti-education and that most Moms are happy to be under-educated, show us bad spelling, bad grammar. That is fine now while you are home with baby. BUT...,but I think the defensiveness reveals that you feel guilty for not knowing how to write correctly. That will hold you back when you someday stop being just MOMS and want to actually go out and get a good job (no, not at McDonald's....)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• No you don't add anything to an ear temp... it is similar to a rectal temp... if it's under 100.5 it's not a fever. Also, if the child is less than 6 month you should not do an ear temp, as they are not accurate. (infact, most over the counter ear thermometers are junk, I wouldn't trust them) I would do a rectal temp if you are worried about a fever.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010