Young Parenting Program

Hi I am Running a Young parenting program ages 13-25. The meetings just sarted this month and they are held every other week. right know I have about eight girls that are attending. The focus was around the mortality rate in our county, mainly focuesd around the african american community. However the girls that are attending are already beyound the pre-natal years. Until the group grows and maybe more girls that are pregnant start attending, do anyone have any ideas on how I can keep these girls active in the program? Childcare is provided. What I need are Ideas to boost self esteem, continuing education, and a vision for a preferred future these are just a few examples. I dont want to teach it like a classroom setting I want them to actually enjoy it. Any Ideas?

Delew

Asked by Delew at 10:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• Find successfull teen moms and have them come in and share tips I know I would have loved that when I was going through it. also maybe some general life skills classes like balancing a check book, meal planning, saving money when shopping, and throw in fun things every once in a while like once a month if you meet weekly things like photography and kids songs and games both are things every parent needs but are also fun. Good Luck and God Bless
    momfairy

Answer by momfairy at 11:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• 1st I would like 2 say KUDOS 2 U. Ur awesome! I agree w/ momfairy that successful teen moms would b an excellent positive influence 4 them. If some of them don't have their GED, maybe u could look in2 how they can get them. U might also try a goal chart (list) & start small w/ the ideas that momfairy suggested bc I agree those r important as well as having fun (maybe sahring pix of kids) while they're "learning". GL
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• i did well joined something like that with my first i was 17 and hadd to to stay in my school i guess i liked it but it didnt tell me anything i didnt already know .. but i think it is awesome that you arae doing this as well its good for those that dont know ..
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2008