Does anyone else get sick of their kids' teachers?

I have really great kids - they've never had behavioral problems at school, they're respectful to adults, nice to other children and they do their homework without being asked. At their school they have to get everything signed by me after it's been graded and sometimes we miss one or two of the hundreds of papers I sign. The problem is, THEY get in trouble for that. I just got a call from my DD's teacher that 2 tests weren't signed. She though it important enough to stop teaching, interrupt my work day, call me and ask, "how can we make sure this doesn't happen again?" I just can't stand that teacher voice I can't see what the big deal is, and I don't think that not having her vocab test signed will negatively effect, well, anything! Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

MichiMomma

Asked by MichiMomma at 10:22 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in

• Oh yeah!!! I sure do! I love when they talk to parents like we r all brainless and stupid!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Sounds silly to me. Maybe you could suggest a one sheet summary instead of having you sign a book every week?
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't say I am sick of them but sometimes, things they think of as problems don't seem like a big deal to me. We got a note last night with my son's homework asking that the parents make sure their kids are drawing straight lines when completing their homework. For s split second I thought Really? In Kindergarten, are straight lines important enough to merit a note home to all the parents. Then I figure the teacher must have some reason she did and made sure he drew straight lines!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yeah, I dont talk to teachers over the phone. I schedule face to face meetings. Things usually go over better. I think that when they try to talk to you in the middle of the day they are still in the I am dealing with children mode and dont realize its condescending.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 10:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• OH I have experienced a few of these over the years! Did you ever notice when you go for a conference they make you sit in a student chair and they sit in the "big" chair? Like I didn't figure out what that was about! My favorite comment has always been "He is not working to his full potential." Again, Like I didn't already know that! I told one teacher that unless he is commiting some atrocious crime or his behavior is so off the wall, don't call me, he is responsible for his school work and if fails, so be it.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think it depends on how old the kids are. When mine were in elementary school, I had to do this, but not now that they are in MS. And my daughter always had good grades and it was not a big deal. However, in "mixed" households, as in with my step-son, we noticed behavior problems - and that his mother would not check homework or even make him do his homework. So, I guess at times, maybe its a good thing. But not to punish the child...
    Nikobaby2010

Answer by Nikobaby2010 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Ask the teacher if she can just send you an email for situations like this. Explain that you don't want to be interrupted during the day unless it's an emergency. Also, I understand why they have us sign papers, especially tests, since some parents act all upset and surprised at their child's grade when they see the report card but they haven't paid attention to the grades during the grading period.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010