Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! I'm 34 - trying to decide if I should i get an Amniocentesis.

I am 34 and trying to decide whether I should get an Amniocentesis. I did the first phase of testing and is said that I had a 1 in 4500 chance of down syndrome. My doctor said that was a good rate (the best she has ever seen is 1 in 10,500) but its hard to make a decision. This is my first baby , this is all new to me and I'm just nervous. Any advice???????

Answer Question
 
Sigourney7

Asked by Sigourney7 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I'm only 26 but got a 1:1200 chance of downs with my last baby.

    here's my reasoning in deciding on the amnio - would knowing change anything for you? would you not want the baby, and need to plan for putting it up for adoption?

    what I did instead of an amnio was go for a level 2 ultrasound where they check for the fatty skin at the back of the neck and a few other visible markers. At that time, I also talked with a geneticist and they took a very indepth family history. After the ultrasound and the history, the geneticist said things looked normal and the history did not suggest downs. I chose not to do the amnio even though it was still offered.
    flutterfae

    Answer by flutterfae at 10:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • I personally would never take the risk of miscarriage associated with an amnio regardless of how small it is. My son has Down Syndrome, if you want to talk or ask any questions feel free to send me a message!
    dedicatedrider

    Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:26 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • I guess the question you have to ask yourself is----would it change anything if you found out your baby had down's syndrome? I knew that it wouldn't change one thing for me...I would still want my daughter and love her just the same so I opted out of the amnio testing. It just wasn't worth the risk for me.
    KennsWifey

    Answer by KennsWifey at 10:33 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • I wouldn't... Would you change anything either way? That's what you have to think of, its not worth the risk to me b/c I would never abort no matter what could be wrong.
    AshJoe05

    Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • I had a 70% chance of having a child with downs, And of course, i did the Amnio, I am only 25 and it is my child daughter, Everything went fine, with the Amnio, Nothing was wrong with the little bundle, No complications with the amino neither, But my doctor, is a professional, * specialist* in The Amniocentesis field,*


    Making sure you have a great doctor, and you trust them to do this to you and your child


    Since it is really invasive and let me tell you


    It hurts !!!


    And i wouldn't have changed my mind but i did, it  for the child sake in case she did have DS, she would have the best treatment Available to her at the moment she was born, since Most children with Ds have Heart complications, I was not risking it,

    LexsiesMommy

    Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • I was 35 when my last baby was born. I chose not to do an Amnio because I would be keeping the baby anyway. If you would want to abort then you should do it. Are you gonna be stressed out with worry if you don't do it? You could do it to put your mind at ease so you enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. I didn't want to take the risk of miscarriage.
    amydh

    Answer by amydh at 11:08 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN