My 14 yr old son wants to go into the Military..

I know He's only 14, and could change his mind but he just keeps talking about it... He sat down this morning and said one of his friends Dad just got back from Afganistan, he's in the Army, and told my son not to go into the Airforce if he chooses any branch in the Military, it should be either the Army, or Marines... He also told my son he thinks the Marines would be best for the type of kid he is... Umm where does he get off giving out information like that?! Maybe I shouldn't get bent out of shape, it's my son, I just don't want to see him do something he might regret... My Dad and Grandfather were both in the Army, but are both deceased now, and my sons BioDad was also but he's no where to be found. He's chose to dissapear 8 years ago... So I told my son I would find someone for him to talk to that can give him an idea of what it's all about... I'm just not sure who, or where to start to look... Any ideas Ladies? TY!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I agree do not go to recruiting station.They recruit for a living.My son is Army.This was his dream since he was 10.We neither encouraged or discouraged his choice.We did have the attitude college first.He attended a college with a strong military program.He graduated with his wings and having completed OCS.He commissioned the day he graduated.Let him do research ,talk to military personnel that have a broad pov .My son followed his heart but doesn't feel it is the only path.I have heard him talk to some of my daughters guy friends. He tells the great,the good,the blah,the bad and the ugly.She has two friends that are following his path after talking to him and a couple that decided it was not for them after talking to him.GOOD LUCK

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Go to the army or marine recruiting places and have them talk to him about it but also find someone who has been in the marines or army for him to talk to. I have friends in all branches and marines will be the hardest for him.

Good for him though!!
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I was in your position about a year ago. My son at 14 was determined that he was going to join the military, hopefully the Marines, he said. I was terrified! I don't want him in the middle of this mess! Anyway, I kept being encouraging, thinking that he can't do anything about it for a few more years. Then he MET A GIRL!! And as soon as he told her his plans, she talked him out of it. Of course, he's only 15 now so it could change again.

Really, whatever he ends up wanting to do, I'll support him but I hope he chooses to go on to college instead. And I have nothing against the military. If it weren't for the current war in Afghanistan, I'd feel better about it, I think. Good luck.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My only concern going to a recruiting place is they are paid to convince someone to go into the Army/Marines. I would like him to speak to someone with experience , but not the job of getting someone to want to join.. I want the real answers, not sugar coated ones... I remember speaking to them in High School, and they made it sound all adventurous.. So I guess I will have to do a lot of asking around, and see if anyone in the area would speak to him..

TY Smiley001!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would say that its good that a man in the armed forced is interested in helping your son make a decision on which branch would be best for him according to his personality.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Um, do not go to the recruiting places first. They will say whatever they have to.. just to get people to sign up! That is the number one biggest no-no. You talk to your friends and family - I am sure out of all of them there is someone they know or are related to that can give insight on how military life really would be for him.. since they go thru it.. and those military men and women have no reason to lie because they aren't trying to make you sign! My husband just came back from Afghan and is going back here pretty soon - Gah. My husband is in the Marines. It isn't all fun and games. I just don't understand how he can say by the type of kid he is - he should go with this. Wow. I know my husband would tell anyone if your going to join - then join the Marines, Navy, Air Force but never the Army.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 11:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• But that's how each branch is.. I don't really understand it but whatever I am just the wife!

Yeah, they do sugar coat it right on up. I have had friends I went to high school with who joined -- promised signing bonuses just so they would sign... ya either some got only a little bit.. or they never have gotten it. They will tell you whatever to draw you in! Just crazy.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I feel the same Ceallaigh... I'm the kind of person that wants/needs all of the information before doing or making any decisions.. I will support him in anything he wants to do, but I want him to know everything that he's getting into... I'm am happy that he's only 14, and has a few years, and the girlfriend thing could be a big help in the future, so I'll just try to relax, and see what happens... All the while, pray, pray and pray that whatever he does will keep him out of harms way.. I am proud of him for wanting to be a part of something so honorable... TY ladies for your answers!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Unfortunately, every person in every branch of the military has an opinion on which branch is better. Start by going online to the various sites to see the various jobs each branch offers so he can make his decision from there as to what branch he prefers.
    He must see the military as heroes and he wants to emulate them, which is normal for teens his age. He may always admire the military, but may change his mind as to joining as time goes by.
    I think keeping an open mind and trying to find other people who will share their experiences with him is a good idea. There are groups here on CM that support all military branches and perhaps they can be of help to you, too, with information.
    As far as recruiting centers, there are recruiting counselors whose objective is not to make a quota, but to explain the lifestyle and job options in a real light. I would not hurt to speak to one from each branch to get an idea.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• PS: I am a former Navy wife and my 19 year old daughter had decided that she wanted to join the Navy since she was in the 10th grade. We supported her decision, but also told her to keep her options open by taking her to college open houses and encouraging her to seek full time employment in the area. Colleges were too expensive and she wouldn't qualify for much aid and there is no job to be had around here, even McDonald's has shut down their hiring!
    She went to the Navy recruiter and spoke with the counselor there and it has taken a good 2 months before all questions, doubts, and worries were satisfied by all of us, parents included. My daughter goes for her physical testing on October 4th and will be sworn in on the 5th if she passes...we will be there as proud parents.
    Her rate choice is a MA and her job choice is either EOD or Mobile Security. She has a strong head on her shoulders so we know she isn't blind about this.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010