kindergartener with separation anxiety...Help!!

Does anyone have any suggestionson how I can help my son with separation anxiety. He started the year off great but now a month into it he is staring to cry and says he just wants to be home with me. I continue to make him go everyday but it is hard. Any suggestions are welcome!!

jtmommyN

Asked by jtmommyN at 10:37 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter cried every day in kindergarten until the middle of October. The teacher said she was fine once she was in class. It took a little while, but she got used to it. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Drop off and move on out. It is the only way, but reward them for their behaivor in the morning. If there is a little improvement then he gets awarded, by playing their favorite game, and so on... Take it slow, it is difficult.. :) Good luck!!!

My son in K they though he had adhd, but he didn't it was anxiety, it took him a while to settle down. Now he is in 1st grade same thing in the begining of the year, anxiety. He is finally adjusting which is good we are only going into our second month. So, I think as they get older they start to adjust quicker.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm going through the same thing with my DD. She started off wonderfully and now every night before she goes to bed, she says..."I don't want to go to school tomorrow, I want to stay home with you". I've talked to her teacher through phone and e-mail and I know she's doing great with her work as well as fitting in with her peers. I think it's just taking a while for her to adjust. Hugs to you...I know it's hard!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• First I would make sure that everything is going okay at school. Yes, bulling and that sort of behavior can start at an early age. It seems strange that he would start this sort of behavior a month into the school year and not at the beginning. Once you determine that everything at school is okay, I would just reassure him and do the "drop and go'. It works better that way. I did it with mine and the teacher said that they usually stop crying as soon as I'm out of sight. Good luck.
    dgall

Answer by dgall at 5:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Reward him with a complete attention half day on the weekend that is only for him doing what he enjoys. He is king. If he goes to school and doesn't fight it. Let him know that he is going either way, so let's make the best of it and get the prize.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:48 AM on Sep. 30, 2010