Could a one month old be on a schedule?

Our little one rules the roost right now and I do not feel as if he will ever be on a schedule. He sleeps longer in the daytime, about three to four hours once or twice and then at night he is up every two hours. He is a very good baby but I was wondering when he will sleep longer at night.

Stuchie

Asked by Stuchie at 10:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I worked on a schedule with all 5 of my kids from the time we brought them home. It takes a little time because you have to work with their natural rhythms too, but it is possible. I woke mine up to eat at least every 3 hours during the day and then let them sleep as long as they would at night. It's very common for newborns to have their days/nights mixed up, but should straighten out in a few days. Make sure you expose him to sunlight during the day, keep things quiet and boring at night.

Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• good advise from missanc
    will take some time
    many sleepless nights but this will ease with time
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• babys are not to be on a schedule its best to work in the sleep time or just sleep when he is sleep but he will finanlly start sleeping in the night time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lilmama35555

Answer by Lilmama35555 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm just starting my little guys (7wks) on a schedule. It just started feeling right to help out with the schedule he has already started himself.I didnt want to push anything earlier and it's working out great for us now!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• lol u can try! our daughter was on one at 3 months! she picked it out herself and we worked around it! to help her with her nights and days we kept all the lights on during the day and a few hours before bed time we would dim or turn off most of the lights! it worked for us! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think it's a bit early for a schedule, but you can start to follow a flexible routine. Just try to do the same things at the same times every day, but know that you might have to stray from the routine at times.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• He WILL rule the roost for quite a while. We parents are merely along for the ride in the newborn stage. He WILL eventually stretch out the sleeping on his own. Missanc's suggestions are good but don't expect any miracle cures. I did all that stuff and mine insisted on being up every 90 minutes in the beginning. He eventually stretched out to 3-4 hours. 5 hours is considered sleeping through the night.

We moms are guaranteed but three things. Death, taxes and never getting eight hours sleep again. Even when the little ones sleep, SOMETHING will be keeping you up!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• BTW...if you're breastfeeding... nos scheduling of feeds... feed on demand. I did NOT schedule the feeds (but then, he was almost never NOT feeding!) I did keep him awake through the day. He still didn't sleep! (And doesn't really sleep long stretches to this day... eleven years old! But neither do I and I'm 47.)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• This is the best time to start helping your baby learn how to fall asleep independently. At one month, the maximum amount of awake time is 45 minutes. This allows for a feeding, diaper change, and about 5-10 minutes of activity. During this time, ensure exposure to as much natural sunlight as possible. This will help set the baby's circadian rhythm. After 45 mins, try putting the baby down drowsy but awake and see what happens. At night, keep everything dark while feeding and then straight back to bed. Feel free to drop by my group, Helping Your Child Sleep, if you have other sleep questions. Good luck! http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 7:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2010