Can you tell if someone is serious or not?

Can you tell if someone is genuinely interested when asking about your religion and what you believe? Can you tell if someone is just fishing for just enough information to turn it around and try to convert you to theirs? What do you do when this is realized?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Usually I can tell if they're serious or not. If I dn't and they try to turn it around I simply state that there is no way they are going to change my mind and leave the conversation. (At least in real life, online I might use the same tactics tehy've used and turn theirs on them until they realize that I can play games too)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, I can tell ... I'll usually ask if their interest is genuine, and condition my response based on that.

Proverbs 26:4

Answer not a fool according to his folly,

lest you be like him yourself.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• With some of the moms here--especially those in the R & B forum--I can tell what's coming before they do! I had one who tried to get a foot in the evangelizing door by asking an unrelated question about my near-death experience. But yes, when they start turning the conversation in the direction of religion, as she eventually did, the clues are overwhelming and blatant. But, up until that point, I answered her questions honestly. Even when asked straight out about my atheism or my practice of witchcraft, I answer honestly. You really never know when a bullet will get through and hit the mark, so I keep firing. Even when I know full well what they're up to.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 5:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes I can tell.  It's fairly obvious by the way they state their question.  I have always said that I find no question offensive as long as it is sincere.  If it isn't sincere then they get to see me in all my snarkalicious glory!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Honestly, I've never cared. Chances are if they are asking, they don't know. If they had the knowledge, they would have enough understanding to "turn on me" in the first place. So I welcome those times, I see it as a wonderful time to educate someone else. People are generally undereducated on Paganism and have all these misconceptions in their head, whether or not they are fishing to use it against me or not, it's still a wonderful chance to get them some basic facts. Maybe TODAY it won't matter, but you never know who will take that information and start to understand that what they have heard or seen on TV, isn't necessarily the truth. I've had some wonderful conversations with people who started off wanting to convert me... One of which actually came back later for more information a couple of times and ended up dropping his ministry training...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I can only say that members of the JW deonomination have ever tried to convert me. We usually end up with a mild friendship, I won't judge them for what they attempt the decision is ultimately up to me so there is no hard feelings. The pre eminent force I believe is that it comes out of love, so it's all good.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• same way you can tell if someone's serious when they ask "How are you?" and you can tell they could really care less in their tone.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• well if you feel like somebody's Faith is fake,sometimes it is.but,just listen to what they say and pay atttention to wat they do around you and when you're not around.It shouldn't really matter though because at the end of time it's not going to be you and that person standing in front of that gate to get into Heaven;you're going to be on your own and you're living for God. If it's like a Pastor or Priest or someone with big power in the church I would move churches because some people have vibes for a reason.But, i hope it all works out for your good.God Bless
    ForeverLove013

Answer by ForeverLove013 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 29, 2010