There is no free lunch.....at middle school

so we have always qualified for free school lunch and breakfast yet for some reason this year we didn't (I do't get it our income went down) and I have 2 boys in middle school that are always starving. Anyway, what do you make for your middle schoolers lunchbox besides a samwich? And what kinds of sammys do you make?? oh and do you send it in a lunchbag or what is your "cool" method to get it to school??

mom2priceboys

Asked by mom2priceboys at 10:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Peanut butter and jelly or tuna sandwich. Banana, cookies, string cheese. I think middle school would rather a paper bag than a lunch box.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:00 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• "samwich"??? Fruits, veggies & dip, double up on the sandwiches (2 instead of 1), wraps. Use 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread/wraps, send high fiber high protein options. Make sure they eat plenty of breakfast before leaving and have a healthy snack waiting when they get home from school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• haha, sorry anon, I knew I spelled that wrong and forgot to correct b4 I posted. I've thought of the 2 sandwiches instead of 1 also and great idea on wraps I';ve been thinking about how to do that as well.
    For the lunchbox it is actually DH's idea I told him the less to carry the better but he still sees them at 8 and 9 not 11 and 12 LOL
    For breakfast I've been giving a hard boiled egg with whatever else they choose for cereal or oatmeal.
    I can't get either to put a banana or apple (even slices) into their bags but I did get some great non fat pretzels and apple sauce (I try to get the no sugar kind)
    it's just all so new!! We'll figure it out!!!
    mom2priceboys

Comment by mom2priceboys (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010