Is it considered a form of abuse to

Not get help for your kids? Someone very close to me has two kids that she has been told need to get help. One they have told her needs to be tested for different medical issues because of the size of her head and that she needs to have occupational therapy because she is not at the level she should be at for her age. The other her dr told her needs to be medicated for ADHD. She constantly complains about these two kids not doing what they are supposed to be doing and not doing well in school. I want to shake the sh*t out of her and tell her maybe she should listen to the people who have told her these two need help. I am wondering will the dr eventually have to turn her in for not keeping appts. or taking prescriptions.

treynlisa

Asked by treynlisa at 11:07 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not sure about the therapy issue, but no one, not even a doctor can force you to medicate your child for ADHD.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think she should be turned in for not doing as the school says. If the teachers are saying something needs to be looked into it should be done. Is the mother into drugs? Both of these issues can be a result of that and since it seems like she could possibly be neglecting them that could possibly be an issue.
    jtmommyN

Answer by jtmommyN at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't consider it abuse - sounds more like neglect. Neglect can be reported to CPS.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• A person can chose not to medicate for ADHD, but then they should be doing something else in replacement of medication like natural ways or diet or something. Size of a person's head and stuff like that the mother should take a little more seriously.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 11:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i think so, if something is wrong with them then yes they should get medical attention or whatever help they need. I have a friend like that as well, it pisses me off, her kids need counseling because she has been w/a drug addict and mentally it has effected her kids, she says her kids are like that because of her bf, im like no they are like that because u keep around your bf.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Regardless if a teacher or even a doctor believe that a child should be on medication for ADHD, the decision belongs to the parent. All that others can do is make recommendations. ADHD medications are controversial. They impact brain chemistry in brains that are not yet fully developed - and the long term impacts are not fully known.
    It sounds like her problem isn't that she isn't medicating her children, it's poor parenting. Instead of complaining about them not listening and doing well in school, her focus should be on setting up a positive consistent atmosphere, enforcing rules and consequences, providing a stable environment, proper rest and nutrition, and making schoolwork a priority.
    This isn't abuse, nor is it neglect. It's not mandated and not legislated. It's not illegal and no one's choice but the parents.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 11:17 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My mother has been teaching the class for the ADHD kids for 22 years. It doesn't work that way. NO it isn't a form of abuse, She is a mandated reporter and would have to report it. She has plenty of children now in her class that the parents do nothing. Medication is a personal choice, not theirs to make. Also, if the school wants to do something about it, they can. It's called have and IEP and asses the situation, but that usually doesn't happen until it is at it's worst. Not everyone wants to accept that there could be something wrong withh their children right away either. I'm not saying it's what I would do, but it's certainly not abuse. Also if you aren't going to the doc with her and right there when it happens, then you may not know the whole situation.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Many people with children diagnosed with ADHD choose not to medicate. No law against that.
    Neglect is a form of abuse, if they are physicaly ill and she does not seek help for them then yes she can be held liable.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:32 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I do not believe she should be forced to medicate they child with ADHD issues but you can not just sit on your duff and complain that the teacher is always calling like you have no idea why. These girls are adopted they were all born addicted to crack. There is another sister that is in the gifted class at school and I can't figure out if she just can't accept that the other two need help or what. The one that is supposed to go to Occupational Therapy does not act even close to her age. She was kicked out of k-5 last year moved to another state and put back into k-5 at the new school. She is now repeating k-5. When the mom was told she needed help she just completely ignored it. She said the teacher was not doing her job.
    treynlisa

Comment by treynlisa (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Actually, she can just sit on her duff and complain - it's a really un-educated and poor choice, and it's certainly poor parenting - but she can do that.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 2:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010