Car Seats

My child is 10 months old and it's almost time for her to sit forward in the car! We are excited especially me I can't carry her car seat around anymore! But I don't know what kind of toddles car seat to get and what's the best. Cost is not a problem! I want the BEST for my baby!

CharleesMom7

Asked by CharleesMom7 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I stopped carrying the seat at around 8 months. I just left it in the car like a regular car seat.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well..More expensive doesnt mean better. I recommend go to BabiesRUs.com and read the reviews(or anywhere on the web where reviews are) and see what people are saying about the car seats.

I almost bought a carseat/stoller travel system that cosr almost $400...Untill I read the reviews and learned that it was a HORRIBLE product! I in turn bought a system that cost around $200 that had excellent reviews. And I am extremely happy with it!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Please, get her a convertable seat so that she can stay rear facing as long as possible. It's SO unsafe to FF too soon. I'm going to recommend the Graco MyRide 65 so that she can stay rear facing until 40 lbs, and harnessed until 65.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• 40 lbs until she is front facing in the car? that's like 4 to 5 years old! Do i really need to wait that long? my neice is 4 and she doesn't even weigh 40 lbs and she has been front facing sense she was 1. Do i really need to be that cautious?
    CharleesMom7

Comment by CharleesMom7 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• When it comes to your childs life, it's better to be overly cautious than under cautious. Now, that being said, you don't have to do that, but it is safer. The new guidelines are at least 2 years old and 30 lbs, which is what I'm aiming for. My youngest is almost 10 months, and she's quite happy being rear faced. Also, a lot of kids outgrow rear facing in their seats in height before they weigh 40 lbs. But it's always a good thing to shoot for, you know?
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Do what you feel is best for your. You can keep rear facing if you want or do it when they say 20lbs and 1 yr. I say read on different ones and see what you feel is the best. The more experience ones are usually that way because they have more padding or more experience material. But it all comes down to you and how you feel about it all.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• charleesmom7.....think about what happens to the human body in most car accidents...think back to when youve seen that test dummy in the commercial in slow motion where momentum is causing it to keep flying forward after the car has crashed into another car or object...the whole upper body lifts up and is thrown forward, the head and neck snap backwards and then are thrown forward...the seatbelt holds the body in place to some extend but along with saving lives can also cause damage to internal organs due to force and momentum....A REAR-FACING SEAT BASICALLY ELIMINATES THESE PROBLEMS! in the event of a crash your child is MUCH more supported and much safer... GL!!
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I hope this helps you
    http://www.elitecarseats.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=car_seat_laws
    It is laws for each state.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My DD has the Britax roundabout and I love it. she looks comfy and it reclines nice so she can take a nap. its easy to buckle and is highly rated for safety. they have a few types my friends has the most expensive one and she likes that one 2. good luck i drove myself crazy trying to find one that i thought was good enough for my little girl!! oh btw while i was shopping I left her infant set in the car and just took her in and out of it. I was so sick of carrying that thing to!!
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• She does NOT need to be forward facing yet!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do some research on this subject. Children are safest when they stay rear facing until 35 or 40 pounds. It is now recommended that children stay rear facing as long as possible.

My DD road rear facing until she was 3. She had absolutely not problem with it what so ever because iit's all she knew. She has a Britax Boulivard. She was 35 pounds around her 3rd birthday so that's when we turned her around.

My son will do the same. SAFETY OVER CONVENIENCE.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2010