2 1/2 Year old night waking!

Since my 2.5 year old daughter was 4 months old she has been sleeping 12-14 hrs straight through the night in her own room up until 2-3 wks ago. Now I deal with her starting to wake up around 12 am and every hour or so after that until 6 am! Sometimes if its a "good" night like last night she woke up at 1am and then again at 4 am. Its exhausting. I am tired all the time, and its not easy having to get up and take care of her and her 11 month old sister while being so sleep deprived. My hubby says lets let her just sleep in our bed and maybe she'll start sleeping through the night again. I don't want to start that now. I don't want to do the co-sleeping thing and my bed is the only place I have to unwind from my day and to be alone with my husband. What else can i do? I've heard of putting a gate up at her door so she cant get out, but that seems a little cruel to me? Plus shes a climber, she'll climb right out. Any ideas?

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 11:23 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is old enough to understand that she must stay in her bed at night. when she wakes up, take her back to bed and tell her that she isn't allowed to get up yet.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thats what I do every time she gets up. I calmly but sternly tell her she has to go back to bed and stay in bed and I walk her back into her room and tuck her back in. Its not working...I even tell her before bed and while we're getting ready for bed... :-/
    CarolinaQ

Comment by CarolinaQ (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• You should find out why she is waking up. Is she potty trained or training? Is she is wetting in her diaper/pull-up and that is waking her? Night terrors? neighbors? hungry? make a list of changes... hope that helps.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't think its night terrors, and I actually wanted to start potty training but put that on the back burner until we get this sleeping situation under control. We have no neighbors anywhere near close to us and I don't think she's hungry. Now that you mention it though, I wonder if maybe she is peeing in her diaper and its waking her up? The only other thing I can think of is that maybe she is to confined in her toddler bed? Maybe its time for a twin sized bed? After all she is falling back to sleep on the floor by herself - maybe she's more comfortable because she has more room? Does any of this make sense?
    CarolinaQ

Comment by CarolinaQ (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My 2 years & 8 month old son started doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. He usually just wakes up once, but then I let him co-sleep (mostly because I'm a zombie and barely even wake up when he squishes into bed next to me). When I've shuffled him back to his room, he'll go back to sleep, but will usually wake up again a couple of hours later.

Maybe it's some kind of growing pains that's waking them up? Or you mentioned your DS falling asleep on the floor, so maybe her bed is too confining for her? (Is he falling out & that's waking her up?)
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have a safety lock on my toddler's door. She's stuck in there and can't come out for just anything. The lock was initially on the door because she can reach the knife cabinet and I didn't want her playing in there when we were sleeping. We were thinking about taking it off and possibly ending up in your situation, but since she can unlock the deadbolt on the front door and open it, it will be there for awhile and we don't have to worry about her coming to wake up her parents.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• stick with it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:59 AM on Oct. 1, 2010