is it still the same? giving a child a name.

if you give your child a variant of someones name instead of giving them "their" name..is it still the same as naming them after them..or not quite the same?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I really don't think there are any rules that apply to this anymore. I would say yes to the variation form though.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think it is. You can even name the same beginning letter.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:33 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It depends on who you talk to!

My DD's name is a combination of two names, the second of which is my dad's middle name. I did it totally on purpose, so, to me, she is still named "after him", even though it isn't even close to his name. If you're naming your child after someone to honor them, then I guess the answer is yes, it is the same as naming your child after them.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think it is pretty much the same. Like if you want to name your daughter after someone named Isabella and you name her Bella, I think it's still a nice way to honor that person :)
    Baby.Fremd7

Answer by Baby.Fremd7 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think it's still the same as naming them after them. My husband and I are naming our daughter Charlotte after my father in law Charlie and I certainly consider it naming her after him.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'm having a girl and I made up a name using my daughter's (Gabriela) my sis (Yadira) and my mom (Doris). The name was going to be Yadrielis.
    Yad: from YADira
    riel: from gabRIELa
    is: from dorIS

I was going to name her after them.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't consider it the same, but I hear a lot of people getting angry when someone names a kid a variation of a name they considered to be 'theirs' - of course you can name a child any thing you want, and I say the rest of the world can just get over it.

I had the same problem, was picking out names, and in my family it's tradition to give a child the first or middle name of a favorite aunt of uncle. was looking at the Hebrew variation of my husband's brothers name for the first or last.
    SIL threw a fit, claiming I was looking to take away a name that was rightfully hers. because in her family if one person uses a name, she figures that no one else can use it.
    turned out that we didn't need to use a male name, but I would have no problems using the name if the situation presented itself.
    I doubt if most people notice.
    just heard of a women throwing fit because friend named a 11 year old dog her daughters name! please!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't think there are rules and regulations to naming your child. If the idea is to honor another person, you can certainly use all, part of, a nickname or even just a middle name. It's still meaningful regardless of how it's used :-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think its about the same. The meaning behind it is still the same, so why would it matter if you spell it differently, or use the female form instead of the male form... etc. One of my girls' middle names is after my great-grandmother's middle name, but her middle name is Elisabeth, and we spelled it Elizabeth because I like it better with a z. Is that what you're getting at?
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yeah..kinda. I don't like my papaws middle name but i found a variant of it that i do like if i were to have another boy one day..its the same meaning but its not even spelled the same and it doesnt sound the same at all. eehh..kinda like jimmy and james
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2010