How to??

How do you get your child to understand that her DADDY isnt her biological father? My daughters father just started coming to his visitations, he had and still has NOTHING to do with her (other than the occassional visit which he stares at his phone the whole time). My husband has been there for us since she was right at 1. He loves her more than anything and takes care of her, plays with her, and makes sure she has everything she needs and mostly everything she wants. She started calling him daddy on her own... and we let her because her bio father wasnt in the pic. When she asks who her bio father is, i explained it to her that its her daddy but not DADDY. she seemed to get it but it kills me to hear her call him that when he isnt daddy at all. i explained it this way because he (bio father) got pissed if she didnt call him daddy and would scare her bc he would holler and say my name is daddy.. blah blah blah..

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• Luckly and sadly I didn't have to explain this to my daughter becausse she knew on her own. She call her bio-dad Carlos Ruiz (that's his name) and my dh daddy. She knew since she was like 2 yrs old that biodad didn't care for her becasuse when he visit her (the few times that he did) he didn't even touch her, hug her or give her a kiss. He didn't even knew her name, not because I didn't told him just because he didn't care to know her name. Now when she say something (wich is once in a blue moon) about her bio-dad she say: Mom Carlos Ruiz lalalalalala. It's hard and heartbreaking but TRUT ME she will eventually realize (sp?) whoher daddy really is. Good luck!
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:50 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Why not ask bio dad to give up his rights to your husband? That way he IS her real daddy...especially if bio dad isn't fulfilling his fatherly duties.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i made sure that i told my daughter to call my new husband daddy andrew and her bio dad daddy david. although she calls them both just daddy but unlike you her bio dad he is in her life on a regular basis. try having her call them by their names with daddy in it. i highly doubt my daughter who is 4 understands that she has 2 daddys.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 28, 2010