Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I file contempt of court against my mother?

My 71 yr old mother, in failing health (dx: pulminary hypertension, congestive heart failure, etc) has my 3 yr old niece in her possssion and refuses to let any family members have visitation with the child. She takes her to daycare everyday and her friends homes to watch her, but keeps the familt at bay FOR FEAR SHE WILL LOOSE HER have a court order with her name & my name on it, but she constantly has excuses as to why I cannot see her or have her over for visits.

Answer Question
Susie T.

Asked by Susie T. at 11:41 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Yes you should. Take her to court so you can see the girl!

    Answer by rockinmomto2 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • Your names for what purpose?
    What does your attorney say?
    Where are the child's parents?
    Who is the guardian?
    Too many unanswered questions.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 11:44 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • against your own MOTHER? is she ABUSING the child? cause if not. why would you DO SUCH A THING?

    Answer by BlacksheepSati at 11:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • contempt of court? maybe you need to hire a lawyer and get some legal advice?

    Answer by gertie41 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • you file a court order and you do it quick!
    keeping a child away from everyone is a sign of trouble in my book!
    please don't back away, no matter how many people try and tell you to stay out of it-
    this child probably needs you!
    keep us posted! feel free to pm me to let me know how it goes, I'll be thinking of you!

    Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • Keep in mind, your mother is in failing health and whatever you do, do it delicately so nothing comes back on you... If your name is on a court order, giving you visitation with this child, then your mother cannot stop you from seeing the child.

    Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:49 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • It just seems like something is missing here. If she is in daycare, the DAYCARE WOULD REPORT HER if they suspected abuse. Did you and your mom get along before this? Is your family not supportive of her? I'd keep them at bay too. If something happens to your mom, you will probably get her anyway. So if she's not abusing her, why would you go so far? BTW contempt of court is when you act in a disrespectful manner in court, she would be in violation of a court order. Know your stuff, it makes you look more on it! ;) Be delicated in how you handle this, it could backfire.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • i disagree with music. often times abuse doesn't get reported and terrible things happens. sometimes they don't notice. i'm not saying abuse is occurring cause i don't think there is but something is wrong with the picture. maybe you have left something out. if you have a court order can't you take that with you to your mothers demand to see the child and if she says no then call the cops to assist you. i would assume they have to enforce the order. i would always tell you mother that she needs to obey by it and if not this and this is what you will do about it. plain and simple. at that point it's up to her to abide by the terms. if all else fails then go ahead with the courts.

    Answer by melody77 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • An act of deliberate disobedience or disregard for the laws, regulations, or decorum of a public authority, such as a court or legislative body
    Susie T.

    Comment by Susie T. (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

  • melody, it amazes me you can come to all this without even knowing the facts and their family dynamics. Nice.....

    BTW if the child is in daycare everyday like the poster says, the trained professionals know the warning signs of abuse, and behaviors of abuse and are mandated by law to report it or they could face charges.It's part of licensing. I'm pretty sure if she's beating her they'd find out. If you don't think there is abuse occuring then why make the effort to call me out and "disagree" with me? Just seems silly.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.