How did you deal with engorgement in the middle of the night?

I am breastfeeding my 2 month old son and am trying not to feed him as much at night because he doesn't wake up to feed as often. But as a result, my breast become very engorged by 5 am and my baby doesn't eat enough at that time to releive on both sides. I don't want to pump because it will only make the problem worse. Once he eats a few times the engorgement goes away for the day but it is very hard to sleep between the hours of about 3-7 at night. Any advise? Will this problem correct itself? Or should I just wake him up to feed?

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I woke up and bumped when it got to uncomfortable. Never wake a sleeping baby.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I pumped when I was engorged. Just pump enough to feel better, you don't have to empty the breast.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:55 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Will I have to pump every night or will it get better soon?
    karina400

Comment by karina400 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• How will pumping make the problem worse? I think it would definitely help make it better. They also have those hot/cold relief pads for breasts that may help a little. GL!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:56 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with mommyoftwo388. Never wake a sleeping baby. So either deal with the engorgment and your milk supply will die down after a little bit, or pump enough to ease the pain. (Not so your empty again- thta wont fix the problem) You can freeze the milk for later, or keep it in the fridge for daytime use or even dump it if you really dont want to bother with it. Good luck
    Taradoodles

Answer by Taradoodles at 11:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I pumped...You can freeze the milk so for me I loved that part to stock up on my milk. It hurts so yep I grabbed that pump!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldnt bump to much if you aren't planning on bottle feeding. Like others said, you need to deal with it and eventually it will go down
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• *pump
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Any stimulation makes the body think that the milk is needed so it certainly won't help the problem, but probably won't make it worse. If your LO is not waking up then I would try hand expressing a little to relieve the pressure. Your body will figure out the whole supply/demand thing quickly enough. At 11 months my daughter started refusing to take bottles of pumped milk while I was at work so by 12 months I no longer pumped at work, but fed on demand while home. My body figured it out pretty quick and I wasn't engorged at work.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Pumping shouldn't make the problem worse, infact it should relieve the engorgement. Pumping is no different then what your baby is doing, so either you're not pumping enough or you're possibly doing it wrong. That's my opinion.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010