Did you know what you wanted to do(after HS/for a career)???

Okay...Im 22. I have a few things I like but Im paranoid about going to school for so many years and getting into somthing and not likeing it...So ultimately I dont really know what I want to do.

tiger_tatted1

Asked by tiger_tatted1 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in

• Nope, I sure didn't. I wasn't even sure what I wanted to do after I went to college. Take your time deciding and remember, what you like today may change tomorrow. No harm in that.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I didn't know; I liked a lot of different subjects that weren't really related.  I had the same worries you have, but at some point I realized I had to take a chance and choose something.  Even when I finally settled on a major I didn't know if it was the right choice for me until after I graduated and found a job in my field. It turned out to suit me very well, but if it hadn't I'd have been able to change my career plans.  A lot of people end up doing something completely different than they planned, but having a degree, even in an unrelated field, often helps open doors. There are a lot of courses that will be required no matter what major you choose, so you can get started taking those while you figure it out. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If you're not passionate about something, then college isn't the right choice for you. Passion towards a particular thing should be the only reason to go to college.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Another thought - try to find part-time jobs in some of the fields that interest you. You may be able to rule some out that way, or you may find one that's perfect for you.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I DID know, but I was stupid and listened to my mom and everyone when they said I could never do it, so I went into the Education program in college. BIG mistake. I ended up getting pregnant and having to drop out, though, so now that I'm back in school, I'm going after what I wanted to do all along.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would continue to explore my choices before beginning school, unless I could take core classes that will go towards my degree. Good Luck to you!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• best bet is find the easiest of the things you like and try it out in school. once you get your feet in the door, it's easier to make the decision to stay on that role or find a better major.

Example:.. I went for cosmo, but know I'm going to be going back to school next fall for more classes. I'm now licensed to cut hair, but can go back to school for any number of things that I desire to, and know I have that to fall back on.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have yet to finish college but even at 36 I love to many things to settle down with one career choice.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I wanted to become a photographer and a OBGYN nurse. So I follow my heart and it lead me to my dream.... an photographer. Then reality set in I wasn't making 'enough' money to pay my bills and buy what I needed for my career. All I can tell you to do is follow your heart and it will lead you to you dream. I hope everything works out for you. Good Luck!!
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 12:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2010