Why could you go to college in your 30's or 40's, without age discrimination? Unlike getting a job

rachelcat

Asked by rachelcat at 12:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in

• What are you getting at? This question really doesn't make sense. My mom went back to school at 32. And every ob doesn't discriminate against age.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't understand what you are asking. Colleges make money off of students so are more inclusive while jobs pay out money so they are selective. Is that what you are asking?
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yes, because I will finish my bachelors at 28, and then I am afraid that no one would hire me.
    rachelcat

Comment by rachelcat (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Uhm....huh?

you're saying its harder to get a job at 30 or 40?....and think its wrong ppl dont get discriminated against for going to school at that age?

I'm going to guess people aren't discriminated against for going to school in their thirties and forties because they pay for it, and it is their right to go. Also, I've never known anyone who had a harder time of finding a job in their thirties or forties unless they have absolutely no experience...but even then age counts for something and people assume the older you are the more responsible.
    Mortiferouslatt

Answer by Mortiferouslatt at 12:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I got my degree at 29, and I had no trouble finding a job.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• why COULD you?

your question doesn't make any sense. why on Earth would there be any discrimination against life long learning?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• age discrimination in employment is illegal, too.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I really don't understand your question. My mom got her MBA at 55 and she was hired at a new job. I will have my BSW in about 2-3 years and I will be 42 by then, I don't see it being a problem and I get MORE respect being an older student.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• why wouldn't they hire you? If you are qualified you are qualified, and unless it's a physically demanding job where age plays a role (like the military, police, fire, football, etc), then it's really not going to make a difference what age you are.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• So you are discriminating against older workers / older college students?

Are you the OLDEST person in your college?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2010