how old was your baby when they could soothe themselves ???

AngelGrace0510

Asked by AngelGrace0510 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know..mine never had to "soothe himself" as a baby. Babies aren't meant to soothe themselves. That's why they cry and can't walk...

He would spend time playing on his tummy or looking at the border of his crib on his own. But, he didn't have to soothe his own self until age two..and by then, he could talk in paragraphs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It depends on what you mean by soothing themselves. My children have always gone to sleep on their own without rocking, holding, etc. because that's what I started doing with them right after they were born, but as far as them getting upset and needing to calm down - I still help them, even my 9 and 10 year old if there's something I can do to help.

Answer by missanc at 12:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my son never really learned this til toddler age. He had 14 hour a day colic for so long that it affected his ability to self sooth - it was a long process for us.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• yea thats what i wanted to know.. sometimes i can give my 6 month dd a bottle and she take a nap or go to sleep but other times i need to lay with her till she falls asleep. and if i dont she will cry until come and lay with her she wont cry it out if i let her she would cry for over a hour
    AngelGrace0510

Comment by AngelGrace0510 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My first started "soothing himself" around age 2-3. My baby was born doing it. Different personalities, different needs. I wouldn't expect them to be able to until at least age 2, and if they can sooner, great!

Keep in mind that many babies who appear to "soothe them-self" aren't really... they're using a pacifier, lovey or their fingers. That's really no different than nursing or needing a cuddle from mom. Those babies have just adapted to using different items so mom doesn't have to be involved.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Angel, yours is normal!

Mine learned to truly self soothe at about age two. That means going to sleep with NO props or crutches and NO crying.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010