3 year old Acting Out?

My son has always been a pretty good child. Wouldn't talk back, would sit in time out quietly, and wouldn't throw tantrums. Now he's constantly crying when I say no, throwing toys, talking back, hitting, etc. I don't allow this type of behavior. Time out being the main discipline, but lately he won't stay seated. I've resorted to making him sit on my lap. I try to explain why, but he won't listen, I tell him hitting hurts, but staying calm and trying to talk things through doesn't work. He throws horrible fits on floor. I usually just leave him lay, without saying a word, good or bad. Any ideas on how to stop this behavior?

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 12:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Remove him from the situation. Work on him taking deep breaths. And for the most part- largely ignore the outburst unless someone or somthing is in danger.

It really is typical for that behaviour to happen now. A lot of it has to do with frustration and the attempt at manipulation (If I keep yelling loud enough and long enough, mom will buy me that toy so I stop) and attention. If you don't give in (no matter how much of a scene they create) and don't feed the attention, it should sink in that that type of behaviour doesnt work.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:29 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I say you are lucky that it hasn't happened until this point. Our son has been throwing fits and tantrums since literally 7 month and colic before that , I hear often that 3 is harder than 2. Maybe your son is just realizing his independence now and if you stay consistent now, it will pay off -be patient, I know its frustrating but walk away and keep doing what you are doing.Or give him decisions throughout the day about what he wants to wear or what he can help with etc.. helps the independence they are feeling.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• does he go to preschool? have you and daddy been disagreeing lately? has anything changed in the house? thats the only reason i could think of why he would do that. my middle girl did that until she started school. your doing everything i did so i can't think of anything else. oh yes i can, have you had him tested? we found out that the reason she changed was because we lived in lead house and it effected her. luckly we were able to get it before it did real damage. ask the doctor.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• noel- Yes, DS and I have both been tested for lead. Daddy and I don't argue infront of the children, and we really hardly disagree. We try to talk things out. Nothing has changed. We did buy a new house, but it's a fixer-upper, so we haven't moved into it yet. No he doesn't go to preschool yet. I decided to wait until after the move (only about 15 minutes away) because I didn't want to make him change preschools. I do have a 9month old daughter, but I always make sure ds has plenty of 'mommy time'. I even tried making a 'quiet corner' for time out which included a few stuffed animals and a couple books. That didn't work either. But thank you ladies for letting me know my son isn't the only one that has acted out like this...
    momma_marian

Comment by momma_marian (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• He is wanting to stretch his legs and pre-school sounds the perfect place to do it, that way he will have fun and you can enjoy him more when he is home.
    Time out is a ridiculous invention that super nannies seems to have pushed to an excessive level. I use time out no more then once a month and that is to give a child time to calm down not to punish them. I have 5 aged between 4 and 17 and think time out should be banned. Teaching consistency to start with is the way to raise a happy child.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 3:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I take toys away when my DD acts up like that. That seems to work more than time out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010