What do you eat?

What does your family typically spend on food for one week and what do you buy? Translate to dollars please this isn't a debate on food stamps just about food itself.

My husband and I both work, we have three kids and the kids are 9,10, 13. We homeschool so the kids are home alot. (Eating at home.)

We live off of cheese, ramen, mac/cheese, chicken, roasts (pork/beef), beans, veggies, bread, fruit, milk.

If we get treats usually they are homemade.

But I still spend 150 or 200 a week in groceries.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Food & Drink

• family of 5- me and hubby, my mother, and a 2 1/2 year old and a 15 month old.

lots of recipes with ground beef, mac and cheese, pastas, sandwiches...

we spend about $150-$175 a week on food.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We are a family of 5.5 (3 kids live with us all the time, one for half of the the week). We spend about $100 a week on groceries. One of the ways we cut back a lot was on our meat budget. We buy meat when it is on sale and freeze it. We eat a lot of stews, stirfries, cassaroles etc that can be a very filling meal without a lot of meat in it. We eat a lot of potatoes and brown rice which are nutritious, cheap and filling.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We're a family of two right now, but I'm 31 weeks pregnant, so we might as well be a family of three lol! We spend about $100-$140 every two weeks on groceries. We shop at Aldi for the majority of stuff and Wal-Mart for certain other things. We buy lots of mac & cheese, spaghetti, pasta salad, rice and beans, and other such things. I use recently qualified for food stamps though...so now I'll have $176 a month for me. That'll cut down on our bill by a lot, thank god. We'll be buying a lot healthier things now that we can afford it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2008