How can I get my 3 year old nephews son to listen?

I keep my nephews three year old son and two year old daughter three times a week. It is getting increasingly challenging to take these kids anywhere because they just don't listen. They just completely ignore that you are speaking which can be very embarassing. I never had this problem with my own children so I am at a loss as to what to do. I am and never have been a yeller but they are pushing me to that point.

AuntSue0922

Asked by AuntSue0922 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ask the parents what type of discipline methods they use at home...than you can use them when they are with you

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• doubt if yelling will really help.
    all kids are different, and he's only 3. Maybe he's just not ready for outings like that yet. it's not unreasonable if he needs more time. you can't make a kid be ready for something they are not, doesn't make him any better or worse than your own kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i know this is not easy but have you talked to the parents about the way they act?
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Get down to their level and talk really really quietly. I would also explain the rules at your house and also discuss your rules with the parents to ensure they can help too.
    lovebdus

Answer by lovebdus at 3:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Look them in the eye and say These are the rules at my house. Talk to the parents about possible time outs
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• a good pop on the hands is not goin to hurt them..u dont have to abuse them but a pop on the hand will let them know that u mean business..
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• A talk with the parents to find out how THEY do it would be good. Or whisper.

Also, my son has a problem with leaving fun places, so we have made it a rule that if he acts up when it is time to go, then next time he wants to go- we wont be. Now when he starts to get panicky when it's time to leave, I gently mention it, and he straightens right up. You might want to do something similar with them...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• spank their butt and be firm when you speak to them also reward them too for the good behavior
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:03 AM on Oct. 8, 2010