What could this be?

Our kitten has a bald spot. It started as a small dime size spot on her neck now its about three inches across. Thats in about a weeks worth of time. We just recently adopted her. We are feeding her meow mix indoor. Does this sound like mange? How much does a mange treatment cost on average? If you know of any helpful resources please let me know because we still have two weeks to payday, until then we are completely broke.

candycane337

Asked by candycane337 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pets

• Ringworm will glow under a black light. So that may help you out. All you need to treat ringworm is a good fungal med for athlete's foot. To cure mange, see your local famer's coop and get a dose of Ivermec....just make sure you don't overdose the kitty. Get the dosage chart and have the guy at the farmers coop help you with the dosage.
    Anonymous

• As long a she isnt showing signs of pain or sickness, I think it would be ok to wait. My chihuahua started losing fur ans I found that it was because of a tick bite. The fur in that area has never grown back either butheis perfectly healthy. Go to a farm store or a pet supply store and see what they have to say. It doesn't sound like mange to me because that usually also includes heavy flaking and itching.
    Good luck :)
    sukinova

Answer by sukinova at 11:56 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I would take it to the vet just to rule out ring worm....that is so contagious...

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• First where'd you get her? If it was from a shelter, did you get a free health exam and did you use it or take her back to have them look at it.
    Skin problems, if not taken care of,can be bad. It can also be if they used flea products that are spot on (Hartz, Frontline, Revolution, Advantage) and she's having a reaction to it. It isn't common to have an allergy to it, but that doesnt' mean it's not possible.
    Prices of treatments vary. It could be ring worm, mange, or even dandruff mite.
    Finally, kittens need kitten food - it has the correct calories & nutrition they need for growing but that shouldn't have problems with the skin like you are saying.
    qvmmommy

Answer by qvmmommy at 1:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I had a cat that did that and it was from ear mites.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• could be ringworm... I'd have her checked out/treated.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• elergic-to-fleas----maybe
    Anonymous

• Ringworm is big potential and very contagious. Also cats can stress out and lose hair. I would get it checked out.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2008