For mothers with more than 2 children

We have a 2 yr old and a 1 yr old, boys. We know we want a third and would like a girl, but would be happy to use all these boy clothes more LOL Here is the situation, my hubby will deploy in 2012, he will begin training for deployment next summer. In a way I want to wait until these 2 are a little older, like the oldest was in preK, so in about 2 years get preggo again. Plus I am 32 and not wanting to be older for my bodies sake. But if we wait to start trying again, it could be like another 3 years. If I was to get pregnant in the next year, I know it would be crazy with 3 on my own, since it's crazy with 2 on my own about 85% of the time. I guess I want to know how difficult it is with 3 little ones not in school. Or is it more enjoyable to wait until I can devote more time to a baby in the future. Would them being soo far apart in age matter as far as how they will play together? This kind of info is what I am pondering.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 12:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have 4 - ages 4, 5, 6, and 8. If waiting is an option, I would wait. You have 2 arms and if he's going to be gone so that you're wrangling them alone? 2 is easier than 3. Waiting until the oldest is in preK is a good plan. As far as playing together well goes? That really depends on the individual children and their personalities, something which you have no idea ahead of time.

The clothes? Girls can certainly wear boy clothes, just add a hair bow or some other accessory to dress them up a bit when you wish.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 3:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i have 3 kids. now they are 1yo, 2 1/2 yo and 5yo. so the 5yo just started school about a month ago..... he didn't go to pre-school. i am usually on my own since my husband works alot (too much, but that's another post lol). for me it was harder to go from 1 to 2 than it was to go from 2 to 3. i did find that the ones closer in age (19 months apart) play together well, but he also plays with big brother too. the oldest one is great for getting me stuff and 'helping' with the baby. i was like you and had 2 boys and i finally got a girl by baby #3. i still used alot of the footie pajamas and onesies for her.... it didn't matter to me. i did find that you can't really use the jeans for either though. the boy jeans are cut bigger than the girl jeans.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I am having my 5t child, with my hsband who is active duty army (for 5 years now) ages 1,3,4,7, and I am due in January! We deal with training and deployments, and we are very happy! I can handle all of mine very easily! I do not know your rank, so I dont knowyour fnancial situation, bt during deployment you make alot more untaxed money, and you get opportunities to do so mch with your kis, plus if you liveon post, they give you 16 hous a month of free daycare per child, so you can get a break! Mine are clos together, and they aregreat together, and love to be aroud one another, I feel that they will be closer inthe future beauseof how lose they arenow.GL!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have 4 - oldest was 5yrs 2mos when the youngest was born - I had a kindergartener & preschooler, plus a toddler. IMO they do play well being so close, but they do fight too. IMHO, if waiting is an option, do it - while I'm glad mine are close, if you're going nuts with 2 and your DH is deploying, you'd be better waiting. Granted, going nuts with 3 would keep your mind off DH a bit, but at the same time you don't want to be missing & worrying about DH while dealing with a newborn and 2 other small children and driving yourself to a tizzy. If I were in your shoes I'd wait. New subject. Thank you to your DH for serving and protecting, and to you for holding down the home front while he's gone. My brother is a soldier and you have no idea how much some of use really truly do appreciate other military families! Huge hugs & best wishes to your family!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• It would be alright. I had 5 on my own, one if them being a newborn. My hubby was in Afghanistan for 12 months and trained for 4 months prior to that away from home.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I am a mother of 4, 3 boys and 1 girl ages 13/12/7/ almost 3. I wish I had had them closer together in age. My 2 oldest get along fairly well, they have the occasional wresting match but what kids don't! the 13 year old kinda likes his 2 youngest siblings ( he prefers not to have any though) My 12 year old (who turned 12 today) just doesn't want to have anything to do with our 7 year old. Our 7 year old is always picking on our 2 year old who is just rotten because most of the time the boys adore her! I am a single parent for half the year my husband works in the oilfields and I can do it, I think you can handle it too! Good Luck!

mcme

Answer by mcme at 2:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I had 3 kids under 3 (the older 2 were 28 months an 13 months when the 3rd was born).  But I had help from my husband.  It wasn't as hard as some people make it out to be but it was stressful and I NEVER went anywhere alone with them.  It was just logistcally a nightmare to try especially in the car with all of them in seats.

But it was fun and they all went through their stages right in a row.  They are 10, turning 9 on Friday and almost 8 (in November).  I also have a 4 1/2yo and a 2mo.  It's always crazy around here.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i have 3 kids. im a little* different in the fact that i THOUGHT i was only getting 2..as in i had my first dd and then got pregnant with our second and LAST(we only wanted2 children) and SUPRISE the second pregnancy was a twin pregnancy! so i have a 3 yr old and 2 7 week olds...YIKES!!! it is not ashard as i thought it would be, my dh works all day and when he's home...i still do most of it..LOL.

so far the only downside is when we or i need to go somewhere or just wanna go somewhere,,3 carseats SUCK!!!! so needless to say im stuck in this house pretty much 24/7:( i hate it and feel like im trapped in this house..
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010