what are the best eczema treatments for young children?

I still have my 18 month old on toddler formula, and she's had persistent eczema on her legs and on her back right below her shoulders since she was a baby. The doctor said she's probably allergic to milk protein.

At this point I like the nutritional benefits of the formula, and would just prefer to treat the eczema a little longer. The thing is, the pediatrician said really the best way to treat it is to keep her as moisturized as possible with something thick and sticky like aquaphor or vaseline. Which means applying it multiple times a day. And it is one of the only things that really helps that much so far.

But it doesn't last very long, and I'd rather have something that I can put on it that clears it up almost completely, if possible, and lasts longer.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Myriam2024

Asked by Myriam2024 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• With my son we had to go unscented laundry soap and dryer sheets for EVERYONES laundry. Bath every other day with basic Johnson and Johnson's soap, nothing scented. No regular lotion it made it worse. There is a cream at wal-mart and most pharmacies, its called baby eczema cream and it has Winnie the pooh on it. His is almost completely gone most of the time now.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If it is an allergy, it will not go away from any lotion. The lotion just treats it. But if it is a reaction from a food, it's going to be there....it's coming from the inside out. We went and still go through this with both of our babies. They are either allergic or highly sensitve to wheat.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 12:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• when my son had it, I use to bath him with olive oil in the water, also rub olive oil on the areas, plus not use laundry detergent with perfumes in it

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My daughter has had issues with severely dry skin since she was a newborn, she is now two. Her old pediatrician used to always tell us to use Eucerin. But it only moisturized her skin for a little while. So since we have moved and she has started seeing a new pediatrician, he recommended Vaseline Intensive Rescue Lotion. You can buy the store brand from Wal-Mart or CVS. The brand from Wal-Mart is called Equate Advanced Recovery Skin Care Lotion and it is working wonders on my daughter's skin! It's mostly on her legs and they are baby butt smooth now! I even use it for myself! It's fragrance free and hypoallergenic. Love it. I got a big bottle of it for only like $3, but the name brand is much more expensive. Good luck!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I never gave my kids any formula, so I can't comment on that, but I can at least give you my experiences with eczema. Both of my kids had it as infants and toddlers and I tried absolutely everything, including prescriptions. (I actually found out that my oldest is allergic to Vaseline in the process!) The only thing that worked for us long term was putting in a water softener that only uses potassium. As soon as we did that, the eczema cleared up, and fast. When we go on vacation, my youngest who is five years old, usually flares up a bit with eczema, and I treat that with Boudreaux's Natural Butt Paste, which does help a bit. It isn't until we get home and he's had a few baths or showers in our own potassium treated water that it goes away completely.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2010