Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


It's been getting really cold and by law the landlord isn't required to turn on the heat until next month. The problem is that our landlord family (1) Despises our family and (2) Rarely ever turn on the heat when needed unless one of their family members is very sick (maybe about 5 times the entire winter)

Our house gets very cold during the winter and my son is only 5 months old. He seems to be slowly getting sick already. I try to keep him warm as best I possibly can. I dress him footsie pj's with a onesie underneath and cover him with a thermal blanket and a corduroy blanket, but he tends to move around a lot when he sleeps so he pulls the blankets off sometimes. We're having money trouble so we can't really afford to buy one of those plug in heaters. I just don't know what to do. He's not too cold at the moment but I'm afraid of him freezing once winter arrives. Please give me some advice this is urgent!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (9)
  • I would suggest you got o your local church or other charitable organization close by and tell them your situation. I'm sure they will give you at least one heater.

    Answer by renea20 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • i would go buy a heater. I get one for my son's room to run at night so we can turn the heat off at night. It was about 400 dollars, but its a great heater, and kid friendly. here is the link. if you don't have the money though, i don't know what to say. You shold be able to turn you're heat on from inside your house. Just do it anyways. Your childs wellness is more important than anything.

    Answer by ClvDandJ at 11:41 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • yes a church, or community aids will assist. even though people have different beliefs about whether you should or shouldn't do this. if i were in the same boat i would definitely have by baby sleep in bed with me, for the warmth. then i would move.


    Answer by MaVie at 11:44 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • Move! You cant live in a house that you cant even trun the heat on in! Espically not with a new baby. You need to think about your son and get him into a place that is heated and safe for him. Until you can move I would atleast put him in bed with you at night and go buy a heater if you can afford internet then you can get a heater. If not maybe you should think about letting your son go stay with family until you can get a better place and provide for him.

    Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • You could also go to your local health department and lodge a comlaint against this guy. He shouldn't be withholding your heat. Why don't you have a thermostat in your home?

    Answer by AuntieM at 11:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • Take another look at space heaters. Wlamart has one listed for 13.88. It should be enough to keep your son's room/space warm at night.

    Answer by AmandaH7 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • Yes, I would try to get a heater, like the pp poster said, they are only 13.88 at Walmart. Geez . . . ClvDandJ . . . the girl says she's having money problems and you suggest a $400 heater . . . was that really necessary?

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • You need to call the health department or social sevices I think it is illigal for your lanlord to refuse to turn on the heat.

    Answer by babyboomboom at 2:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

  • i apologize . i must of skipped over the part where you mentioned you were having money trouble!!! opps. and Bridget..mind your own business. Its called i was offereing my advice, and it has NOTHING to do with you. So shut your mouth.

    Answer by ClvDandJ at 12:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Babies (0-12 months)

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Low line placenta?