According to your city codes and ordinances, can you raise chickens in your backyards?

No matter your answer, what is your opinion about that? Should we be able to do it? Why or Why not?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 1:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• we can here .. i don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are kept in the pens. just like any other animal idc if ppl own them but keep them on your property
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Personally I couldnt, lol. My neighbors would think I was a nut if I was raising chickens in my tiny yard.
    But I suppose if you have the room and it doesnt bother your neighbors, and youre legally allowed to do so, then I see no problem with it.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• In our area, yes you can have a certain number based on the size of your property. I personally think it's kinda silly but they classify chickens as pets. But I do think it's a good thing to be allowed. There are some "urban homesteads" in poor areas of the city (Buffalo, NY). I would love to eventually have a few myself but they are more work than other animals. Thankfully I have an organic farmer down the street that not only sells organic eggs but organic chickens as well...for now that's good enough for me. But then my dream is to buy a larger farmhouse with more land in a few years and be off the grid as much as possible.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I live in the country so yes we have 49
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I live in the country, I could have a herd of cattle if I wanted.
    A few of our neighbors have free range chickens. One neighbor turned her small front yard into a pasture for goats.
    My dog has only killed one chicken so far, lol.

If I lived in town I would be OK with chickens. Roosters, however, are a another story.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If people raise two or three hens for fresh eggs for their family i believe that should be Ok as long as they take the steps to make sure the only way people know they are there is by sound not by smell.
    Dreamsambit

Answer by Dreamsambit at 1:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Nope
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I haven't looked into it, but I would guess that even if the city was ok with it, our HOA would prevent it. I personally would never want to raise chickens and I wouldn't want to live next to people who had backyard chickens. We lived near one for a few months back in the Midwest and it sucked. The chickens were noisy, smelly, and my husband is allergic to them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yep, we sure can. My neighbor used to have chickens a long time ago. I think anyone should be able to raise chickens at their home as long as they are taking care of them and being sanitary about it.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• LOL this is just the question I asked myself when I nearly hit a wandering chicken on a residential street the other day taking my son to school. There is a yard full of them and they run free with no fencing
    Heather_F

Answer by Heather_F at 1:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2010