How many people do you know that has had breast cancer? How can you help?

As a breast cancer survivor and a mother of three girls and grandmother of nine granddaughters research in this area is is important to me. If it isimportant to you pump this question and help promote awareness.

Dreamsambit

Asked by Dreamsambit at 1:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Health

• i have 2 people who are close to me that have/had it. My MIL has been in remission for over 2 years my Aunt just found out that hers has come back with a vengence and spread.
    I think as family members and friends you have to be positive and encouraging. Helping out with whatever it is that they may need. Sometimes its meals or cleaning up the house others its just someone to be there and take their mind off of everything. I did the Relay for Life this past summer and it was such an emotional and moving experiance.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My sister in-law is currently battling breast cancer. She is taking meds that have reduced the size of the tumor, but the side effects of the meds keep her so sluggish and makes her arthritis 10x worse. So she sleeps a lot and stays in pain.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1993 when I was pregnant with my first child. She had a mastectomy and radiation and today is cancer free. My mom was lucky. As far as support - you do whatever is needed - no questions asked. That's what family and friends do. Period.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 3:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• 20 plus ? not sure about how many, i worked for an oncologist for 2 years and gave out the leukine and procrit shots...
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• my mom
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Too many - I know about 10 women with breast cancer. Support is the best thing that you can do for them and maybe a little cooking.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 9:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Breastfeeding your babies lowers your risk, as does pregnancy and drinking enough water! And vitamin D is also starting to be seen as a breast health booster.

So, get pregnant, breastfeed (if you breastfeed a total of 9 years or more of your life your risk is cut by as much as 80%!), drink enough water, get enough sunshine and take care of yourself :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2010