how to deal with toddler meltdown

I have a 2 1/2 year old who has become very particular with things. Yesterday, I gave him a mini kit kat, and while he was pulling it out of the wrapper it became "broken." You would have thought it was the end of the world. What is the right thing to do? Have him suck it up, and deal, or give him a new kit kat?

susanjpt

Asked by susanjpt at 1:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have tantrum toddler
    i usually ignore as long as she is having one safely
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Suck it up and deal. My kids do that sometimes. I tell them to deal with it, or I'll take away what they already have and they'll have nothing. I just don't put up with it. They do shut it down really fast. Or I just remove them from the situation.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'd just let him have the fit, let the feelings out then talk to him about it after. never did know how to stop a kid from being upset.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I most likely would have just given him a new one. No biggie.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I agree with fiatpax- kids need to feel how they feel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I ignore it. If the tantrum lasts longer than 5 minutes or so, I put her in her crib or timeout and tell her I'll be back when she calms down.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• take it away...
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My daughter is 2 and she has meltdowns all the time. She will fling herself down on the floor and start kicking and screaming. I make sure she's in an area where nothing can fall on her and I just ignore her. It's usually over in a few minutes when she realizes it's not getting her any attention.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• As my son has PDD-NOS I'd give him a new one, some kids just have to have things a certain way, it's not that he wanted more, was throwing a fit because he could not have one, etc.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Give him options. "You can either keep throwing a tantrum and lose the candy OR suck it up and eat it broken." As I've said in other responses, this works out well with my daughter.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010