What do you think of people who have never been to college home schooling their children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I never thought of non-degree holding homeschooling parents as less intelligent than degree holding homeschoolers, but I guess I just always wondered WHY, they have taken such an interest in their child's education, when they didn't maximize their own potential? And since homeschooling only recently took off in the last 10 years or so, I'm not talking about those of you with brilliant parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles who ended up being incredibly successful having barely made it out of high school! I'm talking about TODAY'S non-degree holding homeschoolers.

I guess I'm just of the mindset that you lead by example--whether positively or negatively. It would be hard to push a child to get good grades through high school or go to college, when, as a student you did not--again referring to TODAY'S generation of homeschooling parents!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I didn't realize one needed a college education to teach non-college level subjects to a child. I haven't been to college but if my kids ever have trouble with kids in school and how many name call, tourture and harass....i'd pull them and home school them in a heartbeat. Just because I don't have a degree doesn't mean i'm not educated, intellegent and able to teach my kids primary school and high school subjects
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I think you're equating intelligence and capability with education. Sometimes the two are mutually exclusive, sometimes not. One can be intelligent and lack education, just as one can be educated but lack the intellectual capacity to USE the education they have received.

My great-grandmother dropped out in the 5th grade to help her blind father sell peanuts at the train station during the Depression. However, she could do 3 digit multiplication IN HER HEAD, knew every state and capital, and had beautiful penmanship. She helped me w/ my homework up to her death when I was 15 and NEVER got an answer wrong.

Conversely, my exhusband works as an engineer and can't spell or balance a checkbook.

I think so long as the parent homeschooling is intelligent to understand the material (and/or receive assistance teaching it), then there is no problem.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• IMO~To each their own... For my children? I wouldn't want a teacher who has never been to college educating my children. I would think, if a parent is going to home school, they would want better. I think giving them the best resources and opportunities is what we, as parents, should strive to achieve. I would hope that all home schooled children are given the best resources. There is something about even the general electives in college that develop and encourage critical thought, problem solving, communication, etc... Then add to it the challenges of upper level college courses needed to complete a degree? Not just the material, but the dedication and effort it takes to complete a degree. I think children deserve someone who has accomplished more than a high school degree. But, that is what I want for my kids. Other parents want different things.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• chances are, not equipped to handle it- there. I'm a snob.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I see no problem with it.. I have never been to college and I could home school my children just fine..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Some of the smartest and most successful people I know do NOT have a college degree, for one reason or another. My husband never finished his degree, but that is NOT why I wouldn't want him to homeschool our son. I know darned well that they wouldn't get much learning done! He just doesn't have the discipline to teach what's needed. College wouldn't have helped him with that, either.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't do it personally, but I really don't feel that the government should get to decide the rules on this one. My daughter is two and we plan to homeschool, but I do have a college degree.

That said... many homeschoolers find it quite offensive that, college degree or not, others don't think they are smart enough to teach a six year old. Really, as long as you are a page ahead of your child, you can do it. Whether someone is good at homeschooling or not is not completely related to having a college degree.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• College doesn't equal intelligent or equipped to home school. Just means they got the number of credits required for their degree. They could have graduated the very bottom of their class and have less knowledge than a high school grad with a love of reading and learning new things.

I am all for college my husband was a college professor for a number of years.  I just don't think a parent needs to have a college degree to educate their child.  As parents we are teachers from the moment our child is born. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 2:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't think anything of it. My dad never got past the 8th grade due to the need to help support his family, etc. But he read a great deal, had a library that covered nearly every imaginable subject when I was growing up. He was VERY intellegent and could speak with knowledge on almost any subject. The one thing that ALWAYS amazed me was that if he couldn't remember a quote exactly, he knew what book and where in the book to look for it. He could easily have home schooled any child. And they probably would have had a better education than they got in school.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010