so i was in target with DH and my two sons. there was a mom with maybe a 5 year old, in the toy section. i could hear him from soooooo far away. i mean screaming bloooooody murder - there aren't even words to describe it. he was on the floor kicking, screaming at mom, bc he didn't want to leave yet...

"i don't wannnnnnaaa LEAVVVEEEE!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" the poor lady - i felt really bad for her. she was in tears. she had to be so embarrased. everyone was staring. so many people. a lady walked up to me and said very loud so the other mom could hear "YOU have good kids, GOOD for YOU!" i didn't respond. I wanted to hep the poor lady.... i felt so bad - I mean IIIII almost cried. What would you do in that situation???? it was time to go - and the kid wanted to stay, she was trying to pull him to get him to go with her.... it was very sad.... :( she would get on his level and try to talk to him nicely, and she also got frustrated with it and got louder.... she didn't yell at him. idk.... what would you do as mom, and what would you do as a bystander???

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• if that were my child, i would have picked him up and walked out then when we got to the car they would have gotten a butt whoopin
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would hav picked him up and left as a mom, as a bystander, well I wouldn't do anything. Thank god my kids don't act like that
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• As the mom-- I would have picked him up and walked out.
    As the bystander--Ignored it..that's all the mother needs is another nosey watcher.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• As a mom you scoop them up and take them out. You cannot reason with that kind of tantrum and if you do it sends the wrong message.

As a bystander a simple -I know how you feel or it gets better might help
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• omg i can't even get it across how he was acting, i mean i thought he was going to punch his mom or something.... we stayed am aisle over listening - more in shock than anything else. i've never seen that before - and i have seen some good melt downs.... i wanted to go talk to the kid.... i almost did , but it wasn't my busines..... :(
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I would have snatched him up, got in his face and told him to stop that crap instantly. He would have. Because she was flustered and didn't "MAKE" him mind, it got elevated.

No need for anyone else to step in. It would have made the whole thing worse.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• If that got to that point, I'd have picked him up, dragged him to the car if I had to, purchases left behind. I mean if anything I had was for him, he'd have gone home empty-handed. The only thing she did was encourage bad behavior. She shouldn't have coddled him.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The same thing kinda happened to me last Saturday. He wasn't on the floor though, but very loud. He's never done that. I called DH in tears. Luckily we were done shopping at that point. When we got to the check out he had calmed down, but my DH whooped his butt when he got home. The hard thing for me was I had my four other kids with me, including 3 month old twins. I hope that never happens again.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• HE would have gotten picked up and marched out of Target. I've walked out of Walmart with 3 crying kids behind me b/c they didn't get a toy. Yes, I'm that mom.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• As a mom whose been in that situation it's hard sometimes to be alone with a child who weighs 45-50 pounds who is kicking and punching you as you try to carry him out. ANd we'd all love to say we'd kick the butt of our kids if they did that, but violence isn't the answer, nor is bribing him. In all honesty the only approach that has ever helped me control the situation and stop my son from that kind of behavior was to tell him "Jackson, your behavior is unacceptable and I will not listen to it a moment longer, i'm leaving" and turn and walk away. It's never failed to get his attention to see me walking away and have him running after me.

As a bystander I'd probably suggest that to her and give her a little reassurance that her child is not the only one who has behaved that way....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010