Vacationing while pregnant

we were planning a trip to the beach in spring 2011 but now that Im pregnant Im wondering how early we will have to go, has anyone gone on long road trips? and what are your Drs rules on it? like how late in pregnancy did your Dr let you travel? its 10 hour drive that would be broken down into 5/6 hours over 2 days, with frequent stops.

momof3ttc

Asked by momof3ttc at 1:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I lived in SC and was five months pregnant when I traveled to FL. It was an eight hour drive. I was there for two weeks because my FIL passed away. My doctor told me I was fine to go. He just made sure I had enough of my medication (I was on blood pressure medicine) and told me to take it easy and make sure I stopped every hour to get out and stretch.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't go on vacation past 34 weeks or so, assuming you have no pre-term labor issues.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Ive never had preterm labor, and this is my 4th child, and it will be a scheduled C/S
    momof3ttc

Comment by momof3ttc (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I went to Hawaii when I was 20 weeks, OB said that's the best time to go b/c no moring sickness and belly is not too big and she's right! The flight time total was 11 hrs , but you can wear compression stocking to help with blood circulation and get up and move every 1or 2 hrs or so.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• We traveled from Ohio to Florida and my OB said to get out every couple hours and stretch bc blood clots are more likely in pregnant women, but I was only 4 months, I don't know the rules on how far along you can be to travel, good luck :)
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I'd think having 3 kids you are a pro by now at what to take with you so go! Have fun!!! Sunscreen the belly!!! Just let your doctor know and take his/her numbers with you.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• and I just checked the area hospitals, theres what looks like a great one 10 min from the condo we would be staying at :) I think this might work, but Im gonna have to talk to the Dr to see what he says!
    momof3ttc

Comment by momof3ttc (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I wanted to go to the beach when I was pregnant with my 5th - a scheduled csection, but the drs didn't advise it after 36 weeks even though it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Answer by missanc at 2:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Im geauusing around 30-34 weeks
    momof3ttc

Comment by momof3ttc (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2010