Would you consider 100 a fever?

One of my daycare kids have been sick. This morning her mother called me to tell me that she was brining some cough medicine for her. I simply asked if she was running a fever with it because it is against the law for me to take her if she is. The mother told me no but when I just took her temp she is runnin 100 degrees F. I'm angry because my kids are just getting over the same thing and I don't want it brought back into the house. Am I being selfish?

binder5

Asked by binder5 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No you are not being selfish. I understand it's hard for parents when their kids get sick and they have to miss work. However it's not fair to expose your kids or the other daycare kids to illness. Itt is why they have regulations about fever etc.. call the mom and tell her she needs to come and get her child. Show her the reg and let her know that it's not personal you could get into trouble and lose your license for not following the regulations. Make sure she understand that the child needs to be fever free for 24 hours, and pumping them full of tylenal doesn't count. Sheesh I used to work in a preschool and literally had to fight some parents to take their sick kids home. I swear some people should not be allowed to be parents.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 11:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I dunno, I never could handle high body temperatures when I was a kid, or even now as an adult. I get sick as hell if I go to 100. I don't think you're being selfish at all...it's not fair to expose other kids to that. Did the parents even ask if their kid felt bad? It shouldn't be your responsibility to take care of someone else's sick child.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• 100 is considered a low grade fever....it may have only just gone back up since the last time the mother took the temp. some doctors recomend that you dont' give anyting unless its 101. It is a fever and the mother needs to come and get the child.
    PTBAAMom

Answer by PTBAAMom at 12:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I DEF. CONSIDER 100 A FEVER, ESP SINCE MY DD USUALLY RUNS A LITTLE LOW (ABOUT 97-ISH) NORMALLY....
    MyMariah

Answer by MyMariah at 1:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2008