What do you eat?

What does your family typically spend on food for one week and what do you buy? Translate to dollars please this isn't a debate on food stamps just about food itself.

My husband and I both work, we have three kids and the kids are 9,10, 13. We homeschool so the kids are home alot. (Eating at home.)

We live off of cheese, ramen, mac/cheese, chicken, roasts (pork/beef), beans, veggies, bread, fruit, milk.

If we get treats usually they are homemade.

But I still spend 150 or 200 a week in groceries.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I shop irregularly, so I really don't know totals or averages on our money spent. I do know that coupons and watching sale flyers is well worth your time. When things are on sale, stock up and freeze what you can (bread and meat freeze well). You can often combine store coupons and manufacturer's coupons for great deals.
    Austinka

Answer by Austinka at 11:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We are home a lot too we rarely eat out. lately we've been shopping at this great grocery store where the meat is so cheap. We can spend about 80-110 there but if we go anywhere else it between 110-130 for the four of us. This does not include toilet paper, diaper, soap, paper towels, garbage bags etc.....My kids are ages 3 and 19months. If we want treats, I make them at home muffins, brownies or cookies. occasionally we buy ice cream. We do not buy chips, we rarely get crackers to snack on. its cheaper this way. lots of fruit and vegetables, cheese and yogurt. try to avoid brand name and the stuff in the middle isles they cost more. Always save left overs either freeze them for another dinner or eat them for luch.
    erikamommy2

Answer by erikamommy2 at 11:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2008

• also instead of brand name cereal, do oatmeal...u know the quick oats and brown sugar- it last longer and costs about the same. we also do eggs in the morning sometimes.
    erikamommy2

Answer by erikamommy2 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2008