Looking for a good Sheppard's Pie recipe. Anyone?

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 1:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The only Shepherd's Pie recipe I know is my mom's. She'd take about five potatoes, peel them and mash them up. Brown some ground beef. Do a layer of mashed potatoes in a baking dish, then a layer of ground beef, then a layer of frozen mixed vegetables, then a layer of about six slices of American cheese, then another layer of mashed potatoes and so on until you ran out of what you made. lol. It's really easy. We make it all the time and my daughter loves it, mostly just the melted cheese though.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Ingredients
    4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    salt and pepper to taste
    5 carrots, chopped
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 pound lean ground beef
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    3/4 cup beef broth
    1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 min. Drain and mash. Mix in butter, finely chopped onion and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste,set aside.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add carrots and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 min. Drain, mash and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
    Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add ground beef and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat, then stir in flour
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• UPSIDE DOWN SHEPHERDS PIE
    1 lb ground beef
    4 potatoes
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    half a bag of frozen corn
    butter
    milk
    seasonings, to taste
    Use the four potatoes and butter and milk to make mashed potatoes. Brown the ground beef until cooked thoroughly; drain. 3.
    Empty both cans of soup onto the ground beef and heat. Fry the corn with a little butter and seasonings until cooked.
    Serve with mashed potatoes on plate, corn on mashed potatoes and beef mixture over everything.
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 2:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I dont mesure lol but this is what I put in mine, ground beef, onion, red an green peppers, peas, carrots, an gravy ,mix it all together ( i pre cook the beef), top with cheesy garlic mashed taters yumm .
    davecswife

Answer by davecswife at 2:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have an easy one --- brown a lb of ground beef, with maybe 1/2 an onion. Drain grease and pour into bottom of 2 qt casserole. Pour 1 can of cream style corn on top of the ground beef. Top with mashed potatoes (I prefer real spuds over the instant kind). About 4 big baking potatoes are just about perfect (peel, boil & mash with some butter & a little sour cream). Top the potatoes with about maybe 2/3 to 1 cup of shredded cheese (we use the fiesta blend) pop in 350 degree oven for maybe half hour or so, until cheese is melted, and you're done!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Go to www.tasteofhome.com and search for "Herbed Shepherd' Pie" Probably the best one I have ever had!

hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I just made one for dinner the other night that we loved....

1 1/4 lb lean gr. beef
    1 cup onion, chooped
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1-15 oz. can corn, drained
    1-10.5 oz. can tomato soup, undiluted
    1/2 cup mild picante sauce
    4 cups mashed potatoes
    1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

Brown gr. beef w/onion. Add seasonings. Drain fat. In an 8x8 baking dish, spread gr. beef on bottom. Then layer the corn on beef, followed by tomato soup & picante sauce. Top w/mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.

This also freezes well. B/f layering baking dish, line with first foil, then saran wrap. Fill the baking dish. Seal the saran & foil. Then put it all in the freezer for a couple of hours. When firm, remove foil-wrapped casserole from baking dish & store in freezer. When ready to eat, unwrap completely & put in original baking dish, thaw com
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I've never made mine the same way twice!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010