Have you had to have the "talk" with your teenager yet? What did you say?

jazzyjae

Asked by jazzyjae at 2:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If you only have one "talk" with your teen it is way too little way too late. It shouyld be ongoing open discussion. Details and such advanced as their age advances. It begins the first time they ask 'where do babies come from"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• My daughter and I talk all the time so there really wasn't a need for "the talk". I am just open and honest with her which makes her open up to me. And that's what you want, open communication. It's good to start as early as possible. Good luck.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 2:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't have teens, but yes, we've had "the talk" and we will have it again and again... I don't like this idea of having one talk and it's done... For us, it's an ongoing conversation from the time they are able to understand their body parts...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• ya I agree. it should be on going but the initial "talk" has to start some time.
    jazzyjae

Comment by jazzyjae (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• The "talk" started with my son by around the age of 5. And continued on through the years.

As he grew older the more in depth the talks became.
    5-10: age appropriate good touch bad touch, proper names and the functions of body parts, and how actual conception happens
    10-13 or so: Sexuality, puberty, how it's going to affect him, changes that are/will be happening, masturbation etc. And the beginnings of sexual behaviours and sexual responsiblity.
    13 - on (he's now 18 and no longer living at home) Sexuality, sexual responsiblity, the reprecussions of irresponsible sexual behaviour, unintended pregnancy and all it brings with it, STD's & all they bring with them, the emotional side of choosing to become sexually active, no means no in all circumstances, respect for yourself and others in terms of sexual behaviours and sexuality.etc.

The "Talk" was an ongoing dialogue that went on for years in our family.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• thanks pixie!
    jazzyjae

Comment by jazzyjae (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Definitely on going conversation the younger the better, I don't think a sit down long conversation is necessary. I think bits and pieces of age appropriate information is important as Pixie Trix stated I think that's a good format to follow.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have been having the "talk" with my son for the last 9 years! It is not a one time deal, it is a conversation that needs to be ongoing and with openness and honesty. At this age, your child has already gotten a lot of information in health class and probably knows more than you think.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Our age appropriate 'talks' started at 7 and at 12 we are still having them. I agree w/the other posters that say it's not just 'one' talk and it's over. Books help also.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 9:28 AM on Sep. 29, 2010