"You're just using depression as an excuse to not work"

I asked a question about how to deal with my difficult toddler, and I mentioned that I have severe depression and therefore can not work. This is one of the responses I received. Here I am, on the verge of an emotional breakdown-so much so that I couldn't get out of bed this morning, and I get told I'm just using it as an excuse not to work! Wow, Mrs. Judgmental Cafemom (and you know who you are), thanks for enlightening me!

I'm feeling a little bit better, so I decided to log on and touch base with my online depression support group, but I just wanted to thank Mrs. Judgmental Cafemom. You really made my day!!

How are all of you ladies feeling today?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow, thats horrible what she said to you. But you also have to realize that most people who dont have mental illness themselves cant understand what youre going thru. I have depression myself. I hope you are feeling a whole lot better today and dont worry about what that woman said to you. She's just ignorant. Have a great day!
    RenoMama

Answer by RenoMama at 2:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Same way. I suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. It keeps me from working also. I have been a CNA for 21 yrs. and loved my job. Now I can't even go out alone
    No Excuses Its real
    Marinemom03

Answer by Marinemom03 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• hope today is a good day for you ((((hugs)))
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. You look for help and end up on the receiving end of the butt of almost everyone's jokes. I have been there, got the t shirt etc etc. I too have depression, anxiety among a ton of other medical problems but almost no one seems to giva shit!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I have chronic depression and still work. It is not always easy but I have two choices let the depression get the best of me and not deal with it or take charge and get help. I take meds when necessary. Exercise, proper diet, therapy and forcing myself to be out and around people even when I don't want to helps.  Everyone handles it differently. 

tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 2:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I don't know about the OP but as for myself, my physical disabilities are WORSE than my depression and anxiety: fibromyalgia, trigeminal neuralgia, Oseoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis.....with respect to keeping me from working.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• thats an awful response! Glad that yuo can look past it and still return to cafe mom with those of us who would really like to help/listen I hope everything works out for you.
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i would like to use work not to have depressions;-)
    alee72

Answer by alee72 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• I DO work.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Oh Im sorry! I thought this was another question. Im so sorry. :) ^^^^Nevermind.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2010