GRANDPARENTS adult content

it's crazy how can a grandparent act as if there grandchild is nothing? it's disgusting and it embarrass me to know a grandmother that does NOTHING for her grandchild...on the opther hand i am as they say "nothing" to the child just the "stepmother" but i give my life for my princess...
How many of you have kids with low life grandparents?

iNk-FrEaK

Asked by iNk-FrEaK at 2:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DH passed away 5 years ago, and his father was around for a while, then it slowly trickled to seeing him just during December when he'd drop off cash for the kids to get presents with. We haven't heard from him or seen him now in about 2 years. He lives an hour away if that. He was a lousy father, so it stands to reason he'd not be much better as a grandfather. Guilt only lasts so long with some people. We haven't moved, I'm in contact at least monthly with the rest of the family, and he's more than welcome to come by. When my boys are grown it won't be said that it was my fault that contact was non-existent.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Both of my parents are very involved in themselves right now. Not sure what brought about this drastic change in their life. My oldest is 6 almost 7 and my dad has only called and asked to spend the day with him once. My youngest is 13 months and neither my dad nor my mom has EVER called and asked for him. I actually asked my dad and step mom to watch the little one for a couple hours last Saturday and they didn't even call me back. So I understand your feelings, but will never understand their actions.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• guess i got lucky in that department. i'm sorry to hear that though. i think grandparents are important in a childs life.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Nope all my grandparents, for ds, and dss are all good! Sorry you sound very frustrated.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• i do to but only if they are willing to be an active part of the child's life not just see her once in a blue moon and then put her back on a shelf when she is done...with kids it's all or nothing...not part-time love that low
    iNk-FrEaK

Comment by iNk-FrEaK (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• This is what gets me .. Is why is a grandparent obligated to do anything for their grandchild? A family member isn't obligated because they're family. They only have the choice to do something if they so choose, but it's not an obligation to be anything to them. The pressure on a grandparent to be all and do all that is expected is ridiculous. This goes for siblings, aunts, uncles, or any other family member. No family member is obligated or written into a position of expectations by any means. Every person has a choice to be involved and to not be. If that's not something you agree with that's too bad, because you don't make the choice for them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2010