Just curious about those of you that have used the "no cry" sleep methods---have they worked out for you?

I have nothing against those of you who use the cry it out method, it's just not for me, right now at least. ANy success stories would be nice for the no cry methods. Currently trying to transition her to a crib yet she wakes up sooo much

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really made a difference here. Mostly by making me less insane about my son's insistence on NOT sleeping! Best way to get baby to sleep? Pay attention to when baby wants to sleep! They know what they need. When I stopped worrying about teaching my son to do what he knew perfectly well how to do... things got a lot easier and one day he shocked the hell out of me by just lying down and going to sleep. CIO failed. Ferber failed. Babywise failed. Being really wise to MY baby is what WORKED.

How old is baby? The transition is generally most difficult in the first six months, less so from 3-9 months, better yet when you wait till 9-12 months or longer. Yes, the longer you wait the easier it is!

BEST article on transitioning is on drjaygordon.com. Search the site for "sleep patterns."

Answer by gdiamante at 2:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Well, I kind of made up my own CIO method. I didn't put DD in her crib until she was 6 months- before that it was bassinet and co-sleeping. Anyway, I first would put her into the crib when she was already asleep at nap time, to try and familiarize her with it. Then I started at night time, after bath, bottle/nursing, and stories, I would put her into the crib drowzy but not sleeping and then go out of her room. Of course she fussed, and I set a kitchen timer for two minutes and then would go back in and pat her back or pick her up and rock her if she was really upset, then when she was calm and drowzy I would put her down, go out and set my timer and do the same thing. I just couldn't leave her any longer than the two minutes, and if she really wailed I sometimes couldn't even do that. I think it taught her that I would always come back. Within a week I didn't have to go in more than twice, and in two weeks she was good to go.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Hi there!
    There are a variety of ways to help your daughter sleep and transition to a crib and it doesn't have to involve CIO. First, make sure that she is familiar with her crib. Put her in there during the day and let her explore. I would not allow too much playing in her crib as she will get the wrong messgae. The idea is to just get her used to being there and to associate it as a good place. I would also introduce a "lovey," a blanket/stuffed animal, that she sleeps with all the time and can take with her ito the crib. You can start by doing it gradually, such as just with one nap. Make sure she is drowsy but not asleep. If she cries, pick her up, soothe, and back down again. You may have to do this a few times or many depending on her temperament.

You may want to check out my group, Helping Your Child Sleep. Drop by and feel free to ask more questions. Good Luck!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 3:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2010

• Thanks everyone!! She is 22 weeks old. She used to be a WONDERFUL sleeper, yet I know babies are unpredictable so I try not to get hung up on the disappointment. I do mostly cherish my night time bonding/feeding with her. I just get deflated sometimes thinking about my girlfriend's baby who has been sleeping through the night since about 3-4 months
    ajlarsen

Answer by ajlarsen at 4:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2010